can you give out-door plants too much water?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by janet81, Aug 14, 2008.

1. janet81

janet81 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! We have climbing fuschia, Japanese Honeysuckle and Abutilon 'Nabob' in our garden and I just wondered if it was possible to give these plants too much water and if so, what would be the signs of this happening?
    Kind regards
    Janet

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Janet, the answer is, yes. You can overwater outdoor plants. And believe it or not, the symptoms for overwatering are exactly the same as for UNDERwatering. The main one being, drooping foliage.:thumb:

3. janet81

janet81 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! David,
    Thanks for the good advice.
    Kind regards
    Janet

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    How do you know how much is too much?

Also, if the symptom is wilting, how do you tell the difference between over watering symptoms and under feeding?

5. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There is no simple answer. You need to know your soil. is it boggy, dry, clay, acid the list goes on. Is the plant in sun, shade is it sheltered, exposed? Is it a hardy plant or tender?

I don't expect you to answer really I don't. It's just there are so many variables it can't be answered by one question. The first thing to buy is a decent gardening book. The RHS do good gardening books. Get one that tells you about the habitats and habits of plants NOT just one with pretty pictures IYKWIM. Then go out there and gain experience. You really need to read and research. A lot of trial and error too.

Sorry this sounds like a lecture. It's not meant to....................honest:);)

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Strickly speaking, a plant doesn't die from too much water but from too little oxygen. Plants actually drown. Plants need oxygen at their roots to keep them alive. Soil usually has lots of little holes that hold air pockets. When you overwater plants you fill up these holes with water and consequently starve the roots of oxygen. If the roots don't get oxygen they die, and if the roots have died they can't draw up water for the plant.

So as David says the symptems of overwatering and underwatering are exactly the same - because in both cases the plant can't get enough water - strange as that may seem. The difference is that when you underwater there is a chance that the plant will recover but when you overwater the plants won't because the roots are already dead.

7. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    It also depend on the plant. Like my hydrangeas, even in the shade they get droopy when they need water, where as a plant next to them is all perky. It is a matter of a gut feeling as you walk your garden.
    Sorry, thats all I have.