Can you plant Foxgloves seeds in Sept ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by conks01, Sep 26, 2009.

1. conks01

conks01 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a tad new to gardening and I ordered a few seeds from a supplier which arrived back in April but I didn't get round to planting the seeds into propogators etc. so that the plugs can then go in at the relevant time of the season.

I have ordered mainly old style English seeds, Foxgloves, Lavender etc. but I was wondering whether I could start the process from seeds now in September?

Thanks.

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    You can sow them now. They are fully hardy and don't need to go into a propagator, just sow into cells or trays and put somewhere sheltered, a coldframe is ideal. They will make a rosette of foliage next year, just plant them out when they are big enough, and being biennial will probably flower the following June.

3. Archdoodler

Archdoodler Gardener

Illustrator and Designer
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had five mature plants I let go to seed this year, so, technically, I'm expecting billions of seedlings! They're fine, leave them to grow in the ground, they're quite hardy.

Though - am I correct in guessing they only live two years? As an experiment I left a few in the bedding (cut back down to the soil level) and they're resprouting. I hope they do, otherwise I binned four healthy plants >.<

4. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I sowed some foxglove seed last sept following a tip I got from the gardeners world tv programme. The tip was that by sowing in Autumn your cheating the plant into thinking it was sown back in April...and therefore should flower the following spring.

So I left them in the coldframe over winter and at the end of Feb potted the two inch seedlings on.By the end of May I had around 40 or so Foxgloves all in flower. I'll be doing the same again this year as I have some different seeds this time.

Another worth trying this time of year are sweet peas.

Good luck!

Steve...:)

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    That's good to know Steve, I did wonder if that might be the case.

6. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have pots full of this yeasrs seedlings from seeds from lthis years flowers from ast years plants.(complicated nough ?) They will be ready for the ground, next spring. I'm doing this with hollyhocks too. After advice from here, I will be saving Lavatera seed for spring sowing.Good luck everybody.