Can you recommend a perennial for me please?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by tanzc69, Apr 6, 2009.

1. tanzc69

tanzc69 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a raised planter in my garden that seperates my own garden and the flat up stairs and would like a little more privacy so would like to plant some perennials to seperate the two spaces

I have 3 requirements:

I would like them to grow to about 2 foot tall
    Produce lots of lovely flowers for as long as possible
    And if possible to come in different shades as the planter is about 3m long

Thanks everyone!!

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Tanz.

You could plant almost anything in there - though it depends on the dimensions and what your climate is like.

The first thing that springs to mind is Centranthus rubra (Red Valerian) - have a Google of the names. Centranthus flowers for a very long time, then if you cut it down in about July it will start to flower again. It is also tolerant of dry conditions, which could be a problem it you forget to water the planter. The red is much the nicest - though there is a white and a dirty mauve.

Continuing on the long flowering theme (of which I fully approve), there is Salvia microphylla (or S. gregii - they are essentially the same). 'Hot Lips' is a popular variety, but they are all good. This is really a small bush about two feet high, which may or may not be what you want, but its appeal is that it can flower for up to six months of the year. The colours are in the red range, and it is also happy to be on the dry side.

Two suggestions for a contrast. I have Hemerocallis (Daylily) growing in a pot. This is not really a long flowerer, but it has big strap leaves, which will contrast with the foliage of any other perennial. Mine seems to tolerate me forgetting to water it - though it is in the shade. Another favorite is Salvia 'Mystic Spires'. This again has a long flowering period, from July till the frost, and tolerates dry conditions. It has tall spikes of dark blue. It is often sold as a small plug. All of these should be hardy, unless you are in a very cold area.

3. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi tanzc69,

There are lots of perennials that are around which would do the job, but the majority will not give you sufficient colour/privacy, during the winter and early spring.

You could go for Rudbeckia, Echinacea, which would give some height, there are taller things that tend to require less staking than some perennials like Holly Hocks, Cynara cardunculus (ornamental artichoke, Ornamental thistles, Margaretes, to name just a few!

Have a look on the bbc website or the rhs website, for some insparation! There are also lots of people on here that will give you lots of advice.

Hope this Helps!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Try to plant things that will give you flowering time over the whole summer.

For early in summer I'd go for poppies - big and flouncy :)
    For the end of summer Rudbeckia without a doubt - blooms up until the first frosts. Also sedums.

You could also add a few annuals to fill in gaps.

www.crocus.co.uk are good for searching as they match perennials that would look good with others - on the BBC website, their plant finder section does this too. Sky is the limit - and some perennials continue to look good in winter when the seed heads dry - like sedum.

5. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Plantstar's point about not giving privacy during the year is because most perennials die down completely during winter, and then take a while to get up to height in spring. Would small shrubs, like lavender or the small hebes not be better? You could plant spring and summer flowering bulbs in between them for extra colour.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Ornamental grasses keep their height over winter if you need the privacy. Its the few weeks in Spring when between perennials getting cut back and regrowing that would be the issue.