Can you still buy pelleted seeds

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by WillieBee, Sep 23, 2013.

1. WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Having got a new allotment, I thought I better look at a few seed catalogues, so ordered them online. Most, if not all have now arrived.

The last time I grew vegetables, in the 1970's pelleted seeds seemed all the rage. I didn't use them, but I think they were handy for crops where thinning out seedlings would attract trouble, in the form of wee beasties. Carrots if I recall were included in this batch.

Are pelleted seeds no longer available ?

I haven't studied the catalogues in great depth, but the only thing I see now is 'seeds on a tape' in one book. The tapes are quite short though, at 6m. Does anybody here use these ?

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,242
    I have seen a few, here in Belgium, but on a very small range of seeds (in Lidl).

Not much help to you, I know!

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I haven't noticed pelleted seeds for years, I never used them when they were around, I just thought it was a marketing ploy so they could sell you half as many seeds for twice the price. Personally I've never had a problem with sowing seeds straight out of the packet, maybe the pellets/tape idea might help if you have trouble handling smaller seeds.

4. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    I have used the tape of carrot seeds, It was quick and easy, half brick on one end, stretch tape out half brick at that end then cover using a hoe
    That is the ONLY benefit
    The seeds in the tape are still three or four grouped together every inch, so you still have to hand and kneel to thin
    I found the old packet seed and plant the original way far better when it came to thinning

Only pelleted seed I have seen was Lidls lettuce seed, which was good for easy sowing thus less thinning required

Jack McH

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      If you want to thin the seeds out before planting, mix up some wallpaper paste, put them in there and squeeze them out of a jelly bag into the row.

Probably still need to thin, but it'll give the neighbours something to giggle about as they watch you "Icing" your seed bed :)

• Like Like x 1