Can you tell if a rose is a climber?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by BB3, May 23, 2024.

1. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    Sometime in the last century, I bought a rose. It languished under an acer for much of that time. A couple of years ago, I rescued it and put it in a container. It's doing well.
    I'm wondering if it might be a climber. It is in good light and the stems are getting quite long. It has very few thorns and glossy leaves with lovely orangey peachy pinky repeat flowers not in clusters
    Is there any way I can tell? I was thinking I'd I hard prune it later in the year and if has the same growth pattern, it's probably a climber - what do you think?
    My doubt is that it was originally growing in an unlikely place to put a climber . But maybe it didn't have a label:noidea:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,336
    As far as I know, the only way to tell is by it's growth habit. On the other hand, reputedly, climbers can be pruned hard over and over again until they revert to a bush habit. I've been trying that on a couple of cutting-raised climbers in my main border and they do seem to be getting the message....after 15 years :biggrin:

3. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,552
    @noisette47 .
    It doesn't look like it's going to be particularly vigorous so I don't mind which it turns out to be.
    I pruned an albertine down to the ankles last year but didn't get around to hoiking it out. It's covered in blossoms and a bush shape now so I have stayed execution. I'll have to prune it really hard every year,though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1