Can you weave different roses together?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by groundbeetle, Sep 30, 2024 at 3:27 PM.

1. groundbeetle

groundbeetle Gardener

Ratings:
    +445
    Can you weave different roses around each other? I have a Jacqueline du Pre rose that has gorgeous flowers with gorgeous scent, which has grown big and has a lot of bare thick stems at the bottom and I wondered if I can train little climbers up those bottom stems? These lower stems carry some beautiful flowers and foliage about five feet up. I am not sure how I will prune this rose in the spring.

I always read that when you prune roses you need to eliminate stems that cross so that they don't rub against each other, causing injury to the plant which could let in fungal and viral diseases, so I am not sure if this is a good idea or how I could do it so that it would work?

I have found that my climbers flower better when the stems are horizontal or S shaped, so twisting them around another plant might work?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2024 at 3:32 PM
  2. Busy-Lizzie

Busy-Lizzie Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,270
    I don't really think that is a good idea. How old is your Jaqueline du Pré rose? Have you ever pruned it? How tall is it?

J du Pré is a shrub rose and if you want it to be shorter you can prune off half in Feb March. Otherwise you cut off about a third of the height. It is best to cut out crossing stems and over congested stems in the middle, also cut out dead and diseased stems and little spindly ones. pruning to a cup shape and thinning the centre will let in light and air.

I doubt there is a climber short enough to grow up a shrub rose anyway. J du Pré is 1m - 1.5m tall, considerably shorter after pruning.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,420
      The other problem with that idea is getting a rose established where there is already one growing. Rose re-plant disease is a pain, meaning that new roses sicken and die when planted into soil where roses have grown previously (or still are growing). The answer really is to chop one or more of the stems to within 30cm of the ground which will encourage new growth lower down.

• Informative Informative x 1