Canna lilies

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by betty boop, Sep 24, 2005.

1. betty boop

betty boop Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two large Canna Lilies....Darwin and Pretoria which are too large to lift and over winter indoors, what do I do? They are planted in a gravelled area with roots under polythene sheet near to the house.....HELP PLEASE!!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    You could try leaving them alone and once the top gets frosted, cut it down and cover with a mulch of dead leaves or similar. As its in gravel I presume you need something you can remove in the spring, straw is good if you can keep it in place.
    Maybe a closhe stuffed with straw, I've been known to use those plastic bottles from water coolers with the bottom cut out.
    You can then remove the straw in the spring and keep the cover in place to give them a head start. ;)

3. betty boop

betty boop Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks pete sounds like a try!

4. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Betty, I have known friends who have left theirs out and they have survived without attention, however, I lost mine. I think I would be tempted to cover them with a cloche or similar if you cannot lift them.