Cannas - Overwintering

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by suedobie, Aug 5, 2005.

1. suedobie

suedobie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have grown some fantastic Cannas the last two years but have had some trouble overwintering them.

The first year I lifted them when the frost had turned the leaves black, then put them into some peat (as advised by someone I spoke to)then put them in the Garage, they started growing so I took them out of the peat and laid them in a cardboard box, some of them survived this year but some also went rotten.

Should I lift them and then let them dry out, when it says to put them in Peat does it mean a few inches or in a pot of Peat :confused: ??

Sorry to be so stupid but I would really love to keep them for next year and not waste more money buying new ones.

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Suedobie
    After many years of trial & error this is how I deal with mine - I keep them in pots of compost & pop them into gaps in the border - they get moved to dry out(in house shadow) but stay in the pots & out side before frost strikes (though we've not had an early hard frost here for a few years - the first year I had them, they got struck, but were in a dry spot, so I don't think it did too much harm) They usually overwinter in the shed or under the stairs. I keep them bone dry over winter & bring them out when shoots are showing in early spring, replace the compost & divide if neccessary & pop them in the propagator to start them off, they get hardened off & put out in May - have a look at July's photo comp for a pic of one of my Canna "Durban" - its 5 years old & has been split to make 3 plants. Not sure why you took them out of the peat & laid them out when they started growing? - when they have new growth its time to pot them up. I don't use peat at all & find that old compost is fine, as long as they are dry. Incidently, the first year I had them, I kept them in the airing cupboard (in pots of compost), & they were fine, brought them out when new shoots were showing. I'm sure others have favourite ways of getting them through. Don't give up, they are worth it! [​IMG]

3. GARDENANGEL

GARDENANGEL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've left mine in the ground two years in a row, no problems. I just cover them up with the fallen leaves from the garden in Autumn.

They are in a sheltered spot near the shed, but they get the full blast of the sun in the summer. Seems too much like hard work digging them up and then putting them back. I'm based in Kent, Greater London, so weather not too servere. hope this helps

[ 05. August 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: GARDENANGEL ]

4. suedobie

suedobie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bayleaf & Gardenangel.

The reason I took them outof the pots is because they started growing new shoots in the Winter, so I thought they should be dormant during the winter months. Will try again this year