Canon lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Sheal, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,823
    I'm thinking of buying another lens for my Canon 1100D, I'd like to stick with Canon if possible but am prepared to consider others. At present I have an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm and find now I really need something bigger for taking wildlife shots etc. My 250mm isn't bad but particularly with sea birds I just can't get close enough before they take off.

I want to buy second hand to keep the price down. Meanwhile can you camera wise members give me some pointers as to what sort of thing to go for please. :)

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, as you know, Sheal, I'm a Pentax man so Canon is an unknown area for me.:dunno::snork: But the obvious step up in lens from a 55-250mm would be a 500mm. There are quite a few 75-300mm on E-Bay from around £75 upwards but to be honest that's not much of an increase in telephoto reach. There are two problems with a 500mm lens though, [a] price even if second hand and size and weight which makes it awkward to take hand held shots, although you can. I sure that there are quite a few Canon users who should be able to give you good advice.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,823
      Thanks Armandii. :) I was thinking along the lines of 500mm. Would a 500 lens weigh much more than the 250, I've had a quick look at the Canon site and E-bay, the larger lenses look as if they are made of a different material which might make them lighter. Buying second hand isn't too much of an issue price wise, I'm not prepared to pay the price for new though.

I'll have a word with my son at some point too (he has a Canon) but he's away at the moment. It's good to have different opinions as well. :)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Well, if you do decide to go for a 500mm then the Sigma 150-500mm f5.6-6.3 APO DG OS HSM lens or the Sigma 50-500mm f5.6-6.3 OS HSM lens are pretty good and should cost less that a Canon lens. I use the Sigma 150-500mm lens and I like it.

You're right, they are made of a light material but they're still quite a lump and heavy. Most photographers will use a Tripod with a gimbal, [as I do], to make sure they get a steady shot. An ordinary tripod head won't take the combined weight of a camera and large lens and it will lean down.

I'm surprised no one else has come into the thread as there are a lot of Canon users out there!!:dunno::scratch::snork:

• Like Like x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,823
        Thanks Armandii, I'll have a look at those lenses later. :dbgrtmb:

I think 'Steve R' uses a Canon, perhaps he'll pop in at some point. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
          Ratings:
          +3,035
          Sheal, you might also consider going for a 2x multiplier, it would give you 500mm but not all Canon lenses can take multipliers.
          I've a 70-300 Canon Pro series lens - it weighs just over 1kg.
          It replaced a Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm (non optical stabilised version). I found that even with 200mm less 'reach' the Canon lens produced far better results and is also darn good at the macro end of the scale. But bear in mind my Sigma was the earlier non-OS version. The Sigma at full extension is a very long and heavy bit of kit and as Armandii has suggested really needs a decent tripod.

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Hmmm, not often do I disagree with you, Dave:love30:, but I deliberately didn't mention the option of using a converter because I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. I have a 2X Pentax converter and another two that I used in experiments. But to be honest I find the loss in light gathering and the loss, to me, in resolution plus the increase in camera shake if you try to hand shoot doesn't make me happy or confident in using them. Therefore I would always use a tripod if I'd got a converter on a lens:dunno::snork:

• Like Like x 1
            • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,035
              Yep Armandii, you are right but I did say "consider". Converters do have disadvantages in terms of light loss.
              Shooting at 500mm is pretty good going hand-held no matter what lens you use unless you whack up the ISO.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,823
                Thanks Dave and Armandii. :dbgrtmb: I'm not with all this lens 'speak' can you explain a converter to me please. :)

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                Yes, you're right, Dave. The higher the ISO [up to say 800] would give the higher shutter speed to help eliminate camera shake. I wouldn't take it beyond that due to "noise" problems.

What I was thinking of was trying to make the increase in lens size easier and simpler for Sheal by recommending a prime lens which wouldn't hand her any other problems than size or weight.. Any of the 500mm's are a lump but with a little practice good shots can be gained with them using hand held methods and I'm pretty sure that Sheal is determined and talented enough to be able to use one effectively with practice. However, you and I know that a bigger lens isn't always the answer in getting good wildlife shots....being sneaky and getting closer to the target without spooking it can be 80% of getting the shot!! But if Sheal does decide to go for a bigger lens then we both know she'll need a good tripod and mount:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  A Converter is a device that you attach between a camera and a lens which basically magnifies the focal length of the lens depending on the magnifying strength of the converter i.e: X1.5, X2, X3. But in doing so it loses the original light gathering maximum aperture of the lens and makes the lens less efficient of gathering light. So if it was an f2 lens using a converter could make it slower into a f5.6 which would mean using a slower shutter speed than you might want ot.. It also reduces the resolution of the lens making the image softer when you take the photograph. Also because it also pulls the center of the picture into the frame you get an increase of the normal camera shake if taking a hand held shot. I think it could work better on a tripod but you still have the problem of loss of lens resolution and light gathering abilities.:dunno:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +53,823
                    Thanks Armandii. I can't say I'm sold on the converter idea, light loss in particular. There's certainly a lot to be weighed up so with yours and Dave's info in mind, I'll have a look around and also speak to my son during the week now he's back from hols, he knows my camera and will give me ideas too. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,035
                      Sheal, a converter is in essence a magnifying "lens" that fits between you main lens and camera body and can be used to multiply the zoom factor.
                      Armandii, yes increased ISO does increase "noise", but just how much, and how visible depends on the camera's sensor, inbuilt software, any cropping you do and the size at which the final image is viewed. I often shoot at 1000 ISO and now and then well above that and the results on-screen or printed A4 are pefectly acceptable.
                      (Then, I an using a Canon though:hapydancsmil:)

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        The more information and opinions the better, Sheal. Dave has the right idea in saving you getting a bigger lens but he acknowledges the problems that a converter solution could give you. Take your time in sizing up the situation and take all the advice you can!! Let us all know how you get on.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +53,823
                          Thanks again both of you. :) Yes, there's no rush for this lens so I intend to get it right! Armandii you said about sneaking up on birds but I've given up on that which is why I'm thinking of the bigger lens. Unfortunately with sea birds they see me coming a mile off and most of the beaches around here are sand so there's no rocks to lurk behind. :heehee:

It's funny the things you have to think about when photographing wildlife. This last spring it suddenly occurred to me why birds were so skittish when I was around.......a bright red jacket is not the ideal thing to wear! One lesson learnt! :doh:

• Agree Agree x 1