Cape Gooseberries

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by CosmosGuy, Sep 19, 2011.

1. CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
    Ratings:
    +306
    So as an idea to get the OH a little more green fingers I suggested producing something edible from seed (the edible part seemed to appeal :heehee:). We decided to go for Cape Gooseberries. I've never been a fan of regular gooseberries, but seen as I wasn't going to be looking after it I didnt really mind. So we did a large batch of seedlings, which we eventually whittled down to 3, which we potted up, and left in the conservatory for a couple of months, and eventually put them out in June. Didn't quite realise how big they'd get, the damn things are sitting at about 5 ft, and it's thrown branchs out just about anywhere it can. We've been giving it regular feeds. It suffered a little the strong winds from the past few weeks, and the odd branch has snapped off , but still a very bushy and healthy plant :D The roots are covering the top of the pot already (and they're fairly large pots). I can't say they're the most attractive looking plants, you definitely need a big area where it's not going to obscure other plants....and unfortunately all the corners are already taken :heehee:

The flowers are pretty small, and it feels like we've waited forever for the husks, and then fruits to form...Now the husks are starting to turn brown, so we've picked a few. We'll probably make a pie when we have enough fruit, but for now we just tried mashing the fruit in a glass with some vodka and tonic.....and boy it's yummy!! Tried a gooseberry on it's own, and the smell and taste too me reminds me very much of a slightly underipe kiwi fruit.

Anyway so I thought I'd show you all the ones we've collected so far. Hopefully I can get some feedback for the OH....I'm hoping the encouragement will spur them on to get in the garden a bit more....and help me .....(maybe for the weeding :heehee:)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Hi Cosmos, I grew them about 15 years ago just to try them out. I got quite a lot of fruit from them but only tried them for one year. They do get served, singly, with a meal when they have a Chef who know's what he's doing. Glad you like them, are you going to grow them next year??

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
      Ratings:
      +306
      Well I think if we do any next year it might be just the one plant, as they have taken over a little too much for my liking.....I guess I have a love hate relationship with them.....but pretty fruit/husk all the same.

Any suggestions of something smaller yet rewarding from seed next year? I had thought about cherry tomatoes? Or I had noticed in the supermarket some tiny little Tomberries (I think that's their name) and wondered if they were easy to grow?

What did you think to their taste?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I think it's a good idea to grown the Cape Gooseberries again, as you say, in less numbers.

I've never grown the small Cherry Tomatoes, or the Tomberry variety, but I'm certain some one on the Forum has. I grow Rosada, Juliet and Shirley tomatoes in the Greenhouse and have chosen those for the cropping, flavour and sweetness. It must be worthwhile growing the cherry type and the Tomberries just to find out what they're like:D:thumbsup: I reckon someone will be along to give an opinion on them:stirpot:

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,059
        Cape gooseberry is a perrenial, you just cut it back keep it frost free and on the dry side over winter.
        Repot next year and it will get even bigger, and produce more.

It also self seeds and comes up all over the place in following years if you let one or two fruits escape.

Cherry toms are easy and worthwhile, but I'm getting more into plum types at the moment, they are the best for cooking.

• Like Like x 1
        • CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
          Ratings:
          +306
          Thanks for the info. Do you think they could be trained partially up a trellis? I think we will probably save at least one.... Bring it into the garage over winter.

The plumb tomatoes are really tasty, definitely my favourite... Especially with bruschetta :). Are there are tasty varieties from seed?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,059
          I see no reason not to train cape gooseberry, (physalis) up a trellis.
          The advantage with overwintered plants is much earlier cropping.

Only grown "Roma" regarding plum toms this year, good cropper but I think it might prefer a greenhouse.
          Plum toms have less seed and more flesh, they are dryer than the salad types, but cook much better.
          Great just fried I find.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,838
          I agree with you on the Plum toms, Pete. Although I started growing Plum toms because I found Rosada was really sweet and juicy, then I found that Juliet is larger, less sweet and juicy and good for cooking. I've always liked Shirley toms for their flavour and cropping.

• Like Like x 1
          • CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
            Ratings:
            +306
            Thanks, I think we'll try training it up a trellis next year then and over winter one.

Will have a look out for some of those seeds next year, and give them a go.....The juicier and sweeter the better!!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Don't buy from the main brands, cosmos, try some of the lesser known/advertised seed suppliers as suggested on the current Thread "Where do you order your seeds from?".:D

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
            Ratings:
            +306
          • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Get those cape gooseberrys dipped in melted chocolate Cosmosguy they're delish....:yess:

• CosmosGuy

CosmosGuy Gardener

NHS
            Ratings:
            +306
            Well I don't know how i could resist trying that... Will try it with a nice dark chocolate.... I have a sweet tooth :p have you grown them?

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
            Ratings:
            +2,250
            We have grown sungold cherry toms the last 2 years. They are very sweet and great in salads. Hubby ends up with most of them. Shovels em in his pie hole.......

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              That's too much information, Catz!!!!!:heehee::heehee::D

• Like Like x 1