capital punishment or not

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by intermiplants, Oct 8, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    in the search of a cure for cancer and patients being refused drugs because of the costs and being refused a chance of life, or keep a murder alive would you bring back capital punishment

2. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    I don't think that a chance of life should be refused to anybody, and I also think that money should have little to do with saving somebody's life.

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Wow, this is a bit heavy !

Bit of a simplistic/emotive view of UK politics IMHO. What is the poll supposed to conclude ?

4. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes you cannot say we can save money by killing prisoners and use it to save cancer patients. You could just as easily say lets not spend money on the armed forces and use that instead, or don't spend money on new roads and use that.
    Basically the question of capital punishment or not stands up on its own. Its old hat and gets brought up every time somebody does something awful. Just think if we had capital punishment we would have had 6 Irishmen hanged just because they were Irish. - it was bad enough they spent years in jail for something they didn't do.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    Even I'm not getting involved in this one,

Ooops I think I just did. :D

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Take away their freedom, experiment on them and on the worst ones don't give them any drugs to numb the pain ....make them suffer like they did to their poor victims.

Let them spend the rest of their life in agony as I'm sure it is for everyone who has lost a loved one to a brutal crime.

Bet you guys didn't know I had that in me! Helen.xxx.

7. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Really Ste? :confused:

I didn't know I was so obvious! :D :D :D
    Helen.xxx.

9. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    PMSL you lot ! Well seeing as it is Right Wing day today, lets make all female murderers work as prostitutes to raise funds to reduce road tax. [​IMG] But only the really fit ones, the munters should be harvested for medical research.

FWIW I think revenge has no place in the judicial process. There is not much point in having laws to protect people if we conduct ourselves in the same monstrous ways. Not saying I wouldn't be thinking it but systems aren't perfect and nor are the people who run them. Giving powers of life and death to government employees scares the sh1t out of me. [​IMG]

There are easier and more moral ways to raise income for medical research, if there was a bit more forgiveness in the UK rather than the constant 'red mist' I see day in day out then maybe there would be less violence and murders to be concerned with.

But touch my car and I will chop your hands off ! :D Now where did I leave my Machete ... [​IMG]

10. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Um. I'm not getting involved except to say that although I think capital punishment wants bringing back for certain crimes, (like pooh flinging) :D if you look at the figures on cost, it actually saves very little money. I am therefore not voting because the question is based on a false premiss. If it was phrased 'Do you think capital punishment should be brought back, on moral grounds, for murder involving extreme sex crimes or torture' then I may vote. I'll leave you to guess which way.

But of course you then have to define 'extreme sex crimes' and someone else would then think it should be brought back for shop lifting etc. And some peeps would think it should be compulsory for everyone that ....... (fill the ending in yourself).

No it's just too complicated. :confused: :confused:

11. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If Britain is against the death penalty why have we sent all these people to Iraq and Afghanistan? David.

12. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
  13. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    We haven't sent anyone anywhere.

14. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I`m sorry, so these coffins we keep getting from Iraq and Afghanistan are empty? David.

15. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    WE haven't sent anyone. I think they were called Bush and Blair and they didn't bother asking us, neither were our parliamentary representatives asked either.