capsis radicans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gillimar, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Gillimar

Gillimar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :( Hi, I'm new here, but need advice re capsis radicans. I've had one for over four years now and its never flowered. It grows on a south facing pergola. I've fed it, and watered it in dry weather, still no flowers. What is wrong? Should I give up on it? It grows to about 4 feet and has plenty of leaves and thats as far as it gets! Help!

2. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. lisa0307

lisa0307 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If it is Campsis Radicans your asking about,then hard prune established plants in February, cutting back the previous years shoots to within a few inches of their bases, we normally go for the second or third good bud. This encourages lots of growth and flowers we have found, although ours was nearly 10 years old before it produced any flowers at all. It has now taken over the whole of the garage wall and roof, it's a monster of a plant. We don't feed ours at all as it will only grow more leaves and less flowers it seems, give it some tough love lol

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I agree with lisa, I,ve got radicans, and also "indian summer". Radicans I grew from seed and it did take a while to flower, "indian summer flowered in about its third year, I think.
    Yours should be much more than 4 ft high by now.
    They like a hot position, on a south or west facing wall, although it is possible to grow them on a pergola, but the wood doesn't ripen as well and you get die back each winter.

5. Gillimar

Gillimar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I did mean 'campsis'! Thanks for your replies, even if I was on the wrong discussion forum! I'll try your advice.