Car engine sizes!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by strongylodon, Oct 30, 2018.

1. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    I am thinking of buying another car to replace the two year old Toyota Yaris which I am not happy with.
    Could someone here @longk or @Fat Controller (or anyone else) explain how the 'one size fits all' in modern cars works? I know engine refinement has come a long way in the last decade or so but.....
    I mean if a 1lt engine in say an Aygo or i10 can also be in a larger Focus or Golf, can the larger ones be as quiet, isn't there more strain on such a small engine?
    It seems to have replaced all sizes from 1.2lt to 1.6!
    I am just wondering if a 1lt focus, audi or golf can be as quiet (at 70 on motorways etc) than my previous 1.6 Corolla.

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Hi,

Wonder why you are not happy with your Yaris , partic if its still under warranty ?

That said I test drove a Yaris, though about 10 years ago and it seemed very noisy /booming compared to my even older mk 1 Avensis.

Currently still have the 1.6 Corolla and bit surprised you think its quiet at 70 ? to me its always sounded a bit noisy at high speed as the gearing always makes me want to change up another gear from 5th.

From what I have read in some motoring mags I would be wary of the Fiesta / Focus 1ltr engine from their early years as they had some major problems.

What about the existing Auris or Prius or if you can wait a bit the New Corolla ?

News about New Corolla HSD 2018/19 release in Europe ?

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,381
        Not sure about other manufacturers but most Fords now have turbos, even on one litre engines.

Personally, my thoughts are you cant beat a bigger engine, but by sticking a turbo on a small one you get economy, as long as you dont give it too much wellie, combined with performance when you want it.

• Like Like x 3
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +48,882
          So many things to go at here, and it is a bit of a minefield........ but, we will try!!

Firstly, why are you getting shot of the Yaris? Is it performance or comfort issue?

As a general rule of thumb, I find that smaller cars are less quiet than larger ones, but admittedly the manufacturer and quality of the car has a lot to do with it.

Try not to get too tied up only on engine size, as a 1-litre from one manufacturer is going to be completely different to the same size from another; also don't forget that a 1-litre in the likes of the Yaris will be normally aspirated, whereas the same size in a Focus will be turbocharged.

@ricky101 has hit the nail on the head with the Ford - personally, I wouldn't touch them with a 20ft barge pole at the moment, as they have had so many reliability issues (big ones too!), and they have recently announced that they are going to be making $20bn of cuts to costs globally - not in a good place.

I have driven an Audi A1 with a small turbocharged engine - from memory I think it was a 1-litre, and I was very surprised as to how responsive it was, and it didn't seem overly loud to me; having said that, I did not drive it on the motorway, so hard to tell.

Avoid diesel at all costs, as the residual values will be shockingly bad. Others to avoid in my humble opinion:

Vauxhall - lost their way, now under the Peugeot umbrella, but not far enough into their 'care' for them to have had any effect.

Dacia - forget the hype, and don't be suckered by the prices; they are OLD Renaults, not particularly well made, and very much built to a price.

Mercedes - goodness only knows what happened to them, but from all that I hear and read recently, they only seem able to treat customers with complete contempt.

Now, you mention the i10, and that is one I definitely would test drive -- I would also test drive the i20, a Kia Rio and a Kia C'eed (even consider nearly new if budget for a brand new one is tight). A colleague has recently bought an i20, brand new, and absolutely loves it. He has had it all over the country already, and has even found the economy to be better than he expected. Hyundai giving a 5 year warranty, and Kia a 7 year warranty, makes them VERY hard to ignore - and their dealers seem to be quite good at customer care.

Skoda dealers still seem to stand out from the rest in the VAG stable, should you want to look at some of theirs.

Nissan are OK, but only just OK.

Peugeot are worth a look - my mum has a 2008 which she raves about, and finds very comfortable. Not sure what engine she has, but I will be speaking to her tomorrow so I will ask.

Renault, they are in bed with Nissan now - OK, but only just OK.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
            Ratings:
            +28,243
            @ricky101 I was comparing the Corolla to Mrs S's older Yaris, not an ideal comparsion.
            I find the new Yaris under powered even with a 1.2lt engine and minor irritations, screen jet on the end of the wiper arm, extremely noisy indicators, naff reversing camera to name some.
            True the Corolla should have had a 6th gear.
            Auris is too much like a larger Yaris and isn't much to look at, The new Corolla (rebadged Auris) may have teething troubles as new models often do but I will be looking for a year old car as the value in the first year drops so much I don't think I will buy new again.

@Fat Controller, funny you should mention the i10 as Mrs S has just traded in her 13 year old Yaris for a 16 plate i10 which we picked up today.:blue thumb:

I have heard about Ford problems with turbo (eco boost)and have virtually dismissed them.

I keep looking at VW Golf but they look very dated now although they seem to hold their price and seem reliable but again only 1lt engines, unless a GT.

Thanks all for your help and explanations, I will keep looking!:smile:

• Like Like x 2
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,381
              Must admit I find the fact that engine sizes are coming down as a bit off putting.
              As I said earlier, I dont find the fact that an engine has a turbo to be a replacement for a decent sized engine.
              To me its just the manufacturer's way of getting round fuel consumption and emissions.

I've got a 2 litre turbo now, and I did have a 3 litre non turbo, I know which was better on a motorway, smoother and quieter.
              The turbo has higher BHP than my old 3 litre, but is really only better at acceleration, cruising on a motorway is poor.

Also, because I dont pussy foot around, the fuel consumption of the 2 litre ios the same as the 3 litre engine.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +23,089
                Personally I would find the ones that you like and go for the one with the longest warranty, getting rid as it runs out. The small capacity lean burn engines are well risky if you have any sort of cooling issues - the Fords pick up on the bores (rendering the engine scrap) if they overheat even a little bit.
                Not to put too fine a point on it, the stuff leaving the forecourts today is rubbish. The build quality is superficially good but get below the surface and they are only designed to pop together - be it a Merc, Volvo, Ford or Dacia. Over-reliance on electronics to operate or control every function means that the electrical system has to remain spot on or failure/shutdown occurs. Modern diesels have been a no go zone since about 2002'ish - they're completely the wrong car for the use that most people have for them.

Personally I would be looking for something like this................
                Mercedes Benz 190 | B.J.J. Trucks

I know that they're looking for about four grand for it. If it is as spot on as it looks and is desribed then that is a fair price. This model is about to go stratospheric so it's a sound investment. Not very economical but parts are on a par with or cheaper than mass produced modern cars, service parts are cheaper and it will be massively reliable for years to come.

Good 190 Cossies went stratospheric years ago but they remain the best investment even now. This one has high mileage but the price reflects that and from what I have heard it is one of the best examples (at any mileage) on the market right now .................
                1991 H MERCEDES-BENZ 190 E 2.5 - 16V COSWORTH AUTO. RHD. INTERESTING PROVENANCE. | eBay

Last week we scrapped a seven year old BMW 320 diesel that has suffered timing chain failure (a very common issue with the later BMW diesel engine but becoming increasingly common across all marques as well) rendering it uneconomical to repair as we could not find a warranted used engine. The new parts to repair it were between £5000 and £7000!

In summary, like a few cars enough to want to buy one and then opt for the longest warranty. Get shot before the warranty runs out. Or, go classic and say hello to cheap running costs, not very good fuel economy and appreciation instead of eye-watering depreciation.

Just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
                • Useful Useful x 2
                • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +3,499
                  1975 Vauxhall Firenza 2279DN coupe, stage 4 race tuned, loads of work BUT worth it!

Beat any of the German crap available at the time!

Known affectionately as a "Droopsnoot"

• Like Like x 1
                  • Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +172
                    1990 Porsche 928 S4 with 5l V8. Custom exhaust system. No shortage of power when you need it. Not very quiet. Still kills most cars on the road. My practical car is a Landover defender. Sounds like an old taxi.

• Like Like x 1
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      1968 Mercedes 300SEL 6.3 - 0 to 60 in 6.5 secs, top speed 137mph, supreme comfort for five people and sod all mpg. I once drove one from Oxford to Malta - the MD went apoplectic when he saw the hammering that the company credit card had taken :loll:
                      AMG did a modified version upping the standard 300hp up to 430hp and dropping the 0 to 60 down to 4.8 seconds :yikes: