Carl's Garden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Carllennon, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
    Ratings:
    +246
    Hi All,

Just going to create a thread where I want to keep a little blog of my garden project.
    I just moved home and have a much better garden than i use to. It is pretty much a blank canvas, gets sun on it all day and the previous owners left a relatively nice 1 and a half greenhouses there, complete with a great potential veg plot in front.

We are decorating indoors at the moment but cant wait to get started.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Irmemac

Irmemac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,686
      It's fantastic! Great size, and just ready for you to start. I am so jealous! Hope you have a tonne of fun with your fabulous garden!

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Congratulations on your new home and garden!!! :ccheers:

You have a wonderful blank canvas there where you can create so much! The next few years are going to be very interesting ones for you :blue thumb:

I see that as a huge positive actually. The old advice is to live with a garden for a year before doing anything to it. The logic being that any dormant bulbs/plants are given a chance to grow so that you know what you have, wish to keep, or get rid of.

Another reason to take a little time over it is to get to know your damp spots, dry spots, track how much sun each area gets from mid winter through to mid summer; which areas are prone to strong wind, etc..

The planning stage is the fun part - most especially in the colder months - deciding which style of garden you would like and what you want to do in that space: clothesline/out door eating/sunbathing/child's play area/animal areas/storage (although it looks like you have a large out house there too). You've already mentioned a vegetable patch but what about the rest of the garden? Do you prefer a jungle theme with exotic plants? A country cottage theme? Maybe a formal but minimal look is what you prefer? Perhaps a garden with a particular colour scheme is something you would like?

You see? Lots to think about while you decorate the inside and before you get your boots muddy :heehee:

Really looking forward to seeing how your garden evolves. It is a great space and I have no doubt you will make it into something wonderful to enjoy for years to come.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
          Ratings:
          +246
          thanks for the advice. The building to the left is actually a pretty large garage. The driveway is pretty long so I might get rid of the garage and just have a car port by the side of the house instead. It will give more a load more fruit and veg room.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
            Ratings:
            +246
            Mini update, Driveway has been redone, couldnt afford block paving but got a nice fence, gate and resurface with pebbles. Before and after shot below.
            driveway.jpg

• Like Like x 3
              Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
            • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
              Ratings:
              +4,411
              Nice sized garden. If it were ours, my wife would want me to build a little shed so she could have a couple of alpaccas.

Being serious, if you intend to stay there for some time. Make a long term plan and tackle bits of it as and when you have the time and money.
              Start with the bit nearest the house and work progressively down the garden. The bit you do first which you will be able to see from your windows will encourage you to do the next bit, when you are able.

• Like Like x 2