carnivorous pitcher plant advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jem218, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, i am after some advice on my carnivorous pitcher plant-hopefully. i have had it for around 4 years now and it seems to be growing quite well, the general size of the plant has increased, but the jugs (pitchers) seem to be getting smaller???? when i first got her the jugs used to grow to about 6inches and turn a reddish colour, but now they only grow to about 2 maybe 3! i have repotted it a few months back, i prune off the dead jugs as i see them and i water regular- maybe one or all of them are wrong??? if anyone can help i would be really grateful, i absolutely adore this plant and would love to see it flourish again
    kind regards

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Need to know what kind of pitcher plant.

The title pitcher plant can be applied to Sarracenia and Nepenthes.

Sarracenia is the more easily come by plant.

It might be the repot thats not helping, did you use ordinary potting compost?

Most carnivorous plants require a very acid compost with no added nutrient.

Sphagnum moss peat is a good starting point with perhaps some sharp sand added to open it up a bit.

3. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there again, thanks for your reply, i goggled the two different types of pitcher, and i actually have the Nepenthes! not sure if that makes any difference to the keeping of them?
    kind regards

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    Perhaps not, compost wise, but sarracenia is hardy, nepenthes is not.

I find nepenthes likes it fairly warm all year with good light, even direct sunlight.

My particular plant has been out in the garden all summer, in a hanging basket as usual.

Its strange that although growing new leaves its not actually grown any pitchers on the ends.

The ends have actually been attaching themselves to supports, as if it wants to climb.

But it looks healthy, so I'm not that bothered.

Maybe yours is doing the same?

5. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    I plant my pitchers up in spagnum moss mixed with perlite. A poor compost in theory encourages them to capture their own food.

Most really hate tap water as well, so do try and water with rain water.