Carnivorous Plants for the Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Jaxom, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Jaxom

Jaxom Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a greenhouse which I intend to keep as a cold set up, rather than heat to 7C during winter.
    I would like to put some Carnivorous plants in the Greenhouse to pray on the harmful bugs I may find living in there in the future.
    Can anyone suggest what to grow please?

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmm the most common pest I get in my greenhouse is white fly - and not certain carnivorous plants would address that problem - just too many of them.

Keeping a greenhouse pest free - for me is more about hygenee - and the use of nematodes when the temperature rises enough (organic) and pravado if not.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,979
    Dont think carnivorous plants can really be considered as a way of keeping down greenhouse pests Jaxom, although they are pretty interesting plants to grow.
    For a cold greenhouse you could try sarracenia, most are hardy, I grow mine outside, but they are better under glass. Also some of the sundews, but the more interesting ones are, I think tender. You could also possibly get away with venus fly trap.