Carrot fly

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Labrador, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    After swearing I will never grow carrots again, as a result of them being ruined by legions of carrot fly over the years, I have just sown two rows! They are just coming through and I decided to make a kind of cloche over them using fleece. Is this a good idea or is there a better method of beating the little ######?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) Putting fleece or old net curtains as a barrier method over them, it is supposed to help.. Don't know have never tried that one... Or you could do what I do which is, companion plant with onions or garlic, or put some marigolds there....!!!!:thumb::D Never had the fly back since I companion planted....:thumb::D

3. Labrador

Labrador Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Marley Farley. Too late to do that this year as they are already coming up, but will try next year. mind you how close would the onions need to be as I have 100 onions and about 36 shallot plants on the other side of the path, say about 4' from the end of the carrot row.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :) I either stick a few in a row with them or plant in the next row to them... In my experience they have to be close...!;):D:D

5. vegpatch

vegpatch Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you can, plant them high up in a raised bed of some kind. Carrot flys only fly about 2 feet above ground level. I've built a raised bed and have sown plenty of carrots, so fingers crossed.