Carrot fly

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Big T, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Big T

Big T Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried the companion planting method to deter carrot fly, but still can not grow carrots that are not affected by the pesky carrot fly.

Does anyone know what pesticide the commercial carrot growers use?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know about the pesticide but I did grow the variety resistafly last year and only got a couple of plants affected among a long row of carrots in the allotment, I think there is also a resistant variety called flyaway too

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I suffer with the same problem so I did not grow any last year. And there is nothing like homegrown stuff. I'm going to look into SteveW's reply and certainly give it a go.

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I don't grow carrots as I have limited space in my raised beds and try to stick to things that I can't buy local organic varieties of, or more expensive things. However I have noticed thatseveral sites recommend covering the seedlings with fleece to stop the flies getting at them. Has anyone tried this?

5. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    When we had a coal fire I used to sow carrots in holes dibbled with the sharpened handle of an old spade. I filled the holes with a mixture of the previous year�s grow bags, sieved garden soil and a bit of soot (reckoned to be a fly deterrent) from the last chimney sweeping. I never had any trouble with fly and produced lovely big straight carrots.
    In recent years I�ve stuck to the dibbled holes method but without soot. I sow a very small pinch of seeds in each hole and thin down to one seedling as soon as they are big enough to thin. This way I don�t have to do any mid-season thinning with the resultant release of that enticing carrot odour for the fly.
    The last two years I�ve also used fleece and it certainly acts as a fly barrier as well as providing a slightly warmer environment in the spring and early summer.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Haven't heard of chemical deterrant - but have heard of wormwood branches between the rows, and also instead of planting in rows - to scatter them through other plants to break up the attraction.

7. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    H Big T
    the cause is by creamy yellow maggots, which are the larvae of the 'pesky' carrot fly.
    apart from using a resistant variety like 'FLYAWAY' try following the next few tips.
    1. never plant any root crop in the same area every year
    2. always deeply fork over where deep rooted crops are going to be sown.
    3. when seed has been sown, put a wall of polythene up to a couple of feet high down both side of rows, this prevents the female fly from landing to lay eggs. this may seem a bit drastic but I have had success doing this.
    4. In mid summer spray growing plants with PIRIMIPHOS-METHYL.
    5. In autumn, lift the carrots and store to limit the damage.
    hope this has been helpful
    Paul

8. terry od

terry od Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, rossco has given excellant advice, except I have never heard of PIRIMIPHOS-METHYL being available to general gardeners, never seen it on the garden centre shelves.
    Probably rossco can advise where to purchase.

9. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  10. rossco

rossco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    afraid to say P-M for short is not available to amateur gardeners, unless you have a freindly farmer, but health/safety prohibit me from advising you to do that ! um ! as you would need all the protective clothing that goes with such chemicals, and it is not cheap.
    the ploythene way is one way, or use horticultural fleece instead.
    I have been in horticulture for over 30 years and maybe once grown a complete crop free from any problems.
    Malathion is another product I have used, with fair results, follow instructions on container always.

11. rossco

rossco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi All,
    controls that are available that contain the chemical PIRIMIPHOS-METHYL are as follow
    1.ICI Fumite,general purpose insecticide smokes
    2. ICI Antkiller dust
    3. ICI Kerispray
    4. ICI Sybol
    5. ICI Waspend....
    you could use the ant killer dust inplace of the commercial product.
    hope this helps

ROSSCO

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Thanks Rossco.

Lots of options in your list.

I didn't think that Sybol was still available as I've not seen it for a couple of years.

13. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Appreciate the chemical solution but I always planted carrots between broad bean rows. I never had problems with flys in ten years and assumed that as the beans grew they masked the carrots from their flight path.

[ 15. February 2006, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Paladin ]

14. rossco

rossco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all
    Like the Paladin approach, will give it a try.. happy carrot crunching

15. terry od

terry od Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard also that planting near onions mask the smell that the carrot fly goes for. I am going to try this year, will let you no if it works.