Castings and compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by joedoyle, Feb 13, 2011.

1. joedoyle

joedoyle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Last year we grew a variety of vegetables on our patio in containers, and we are starting prep to do the same this year. All very exciting, but we're a bit worried about what to do with our soil from last year. We have lots of shop-bought compost that we used last year and then kept over winter in a big aerated bin, and castings from the wormery we started last Jan. I really want to make sure that our soil is good quality. I have read a little bit about the potential loss of nutrients from used soil, and about the importance of testing the soil's Ph, too. I have a few questions:
    * can anyone please recommend a good value Ph kit?
    * would it be good to mix all our casings with all of last year's soil, into one big bin? Or would it be better to use the old compost and then cover the tops of the pots with castings, like mulch?
    Thanks for your help!
    Joe

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi JD, if in this case by "soil" you actually mean the compost you used in your containers, then I would spread
    it on your borders if you have any. The compost will have been depleted of nutrients but will improve the quality of your border soil. If you have a compost heap that you empty and refill every year you could add the spent compost to it to help other ingredients to rot down. Just make sure that whatever option you choose that you check the old compost for any unwanted pests to make sure you're not spreading them!

3. joedoyle

joedoyle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Armandii but we only have pots (on a flat roof). We're thinking it might be best to mix all the compost from last year with the castings to replenish the nutrients. However, we are worried about pest transfer (even though last summer was mercifully disease-free for us) - how would we check/test for pests, disease, etc in last year's soil?

Also, any ideas on a cheap ph test?

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,597
    Instead of a pH test kit of the kind where you use chemicals and mix it all up in a container and then wait for it to change colour before comparing the colour to a colour chart, and then you run out of the chemical additive after a couple of goes...

How about a pH meter?

I got one from Amazon a couple of years ago for a fiver, brand new.

EDIT: Forgot to add, the advantage of a meter over the chemical kit is that you just wet the soil, shove the meter probes in, give it 30 seconds, then read your pH off the dial. Wipe clean, stick in a drawer, job done until next time. They don't even need batteries because the electricity comes from the electrochemical reaction that occurs when you put two dissimilar metals (the two probes are coated in different metals) into a something that is either acid or alkaline. If the soil is neutral, no power happens and the needle stays put. If its alkaline the polarity of the electricity is one way round, for acid it is the other way round, and the needle moves one way or the other across the scale thus giving you your reading. Pure witchcraft on a stick.

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi JD, I suspected that you had no borders from the way you phrased your question but I wasn't sure! Using old compost is frowned upon by some gardeners, [but not by me], because of, as you say, potential pest and disease problems. Having said that I know a lot of gardeners who re-use compost for hanging baskets and pots. If you think about it, it's general practice to leave compost in pots of perennials for quite a few seasons with only, if the plants lucky, a general feed every now and then. Old compost only seems to be suspect when we take in out of the pot - which is a bit strange! If you do re-use it you would need, obviously, to check for pests by sifting it and add a bit a grow-more or such-like. You also wouldn't re-use the compost from a pot or hanging basket if the plants had suddenly died!! Sounds to me like you're making the best use of the flat roof and thinking how to make it better - GOOD LUCK!

Regarding PH test kits, there's two schools of thoughts regarding them. As Clueless1 has suggested you could use the probe meter. Some people swear by it and some think it's a bit vague in translating the electricity reaction to the displayed result. The chemical test is regarded as being more exact and scientific although it always brings back memories of school to me! I used both but don't bother now as I know my soil is neutral leaning towards alkaline. You can get cheap chemical kits from the likes of Wilco's etc. Your choice! Why do you want a test kit? Most commercial composts, depending on the percentage of peat added, are just slightly either side of neutral and you shouldn't find that the old compost has changed dramatically. Ericaceous compost can lose some of it's acidity over a few seasons in pots so I always renew it after a while.

6. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi joe,

On thursday Feb 17th, Aldi are selling pH meters for £3.49 each if your interested :thumbsup:[hr]
    p.s. Yes... i am a tightwad

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Naah, I don't believe that, Luknotts!!, you're just careful!!

8. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    No... i really am a tightwad :heehee:

9. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Alright, I give in - you are a tightwad!