Castle Howard

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Waco, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I do not usually go to visit gardens in my own back yard, but when my American friend came to stay I did not regret going here. what amazed me was they were doing "Urban Jungle" before we knew it existed (all be it in the country ;)
    [​IMG]
    see more at www.walnutcottage.net/garden.htm

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lovely picture - those ferns are really happy

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    beautiful place, Waco - is that you in the set of photos in the link? Whereabouts in Yorkshire is Castle Howard? I'd probably be travelling from frends near Darlington if I went.

4. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    No that is my friend Jan from USA Castle Howard is between York and Malton. from darlington I suppose you would be off A1 thirsk Helmsley- Pickering, but better check. I definately want to go back but when rhodos are properly in bloom, we were a bit late in March.The pieris were about 20 ft high I suppose screaming for the light under pseudo jungle cover. I adore flowers, but this was different!

5. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    [​IMG]
    Monets garden last May... old peoples outing!

6. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    [​IMG]
    Alas to early for the famous Water Lilies, some very nice Irises tho

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    TA for info, Waco - will prob go there this summer - looks my sort of place!
    Rosie - those photos are lovely, particularly the 2nd one - we all know the pond/lake so well, nice to see without the water lilies being in flower for a change!!

8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    The pond is beautiful - wonder what the orange plant is at the back or is it someones rain coat. I have loads of the yellow iris in my river, they always do well but I made mistke of putting them in my pond and they have taken over - almost impossible to get out too!

dendrobium - if you do come to this area it would be fun to do some plant swaps if you can think of any.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,474
    From this distance it looks like montbretia but it is probably too wet for it there. Is there an orange iris? [​IMG]

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    don't think so! prob montbretia aka crocosmia! but I've recently discovered a few other things very similar to that - and can believe there will be others (tritonia for one) - but they're not orange either! ;)

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Waco - good idea! It'll prob be late summer before I get down, which would give lots of time to think about it!! I do other people's gardens fora living, and they don't like me to go on holiday (although I'm off at the end of April for 10 days, to hack down rhodies - that'll be fun!)

Nearer the time, I'll let you know, and we can swap addresses and wish lists!! ;)

12. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure I will have anything to offer you, if you are in the profession, you probably got it all! I don't know why but some how I thought you were a teacher. Still if there is anything you can think of.

Not sure about holiday to hack down rhodies, sounds a bit like work to me.

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Quite right - I was a languages teacher, but changed 3-4 years ago. This is much healthier!! And as I'm in a new house, and empty new garden, no, I don't have it all!! I keep taking cuttings of things, and sowing incredible numbers of seeds to get it filled and supply customers too, but this year it'll be mostly going to the wholesale nursery to get stuff. Hacking down rhodies is therapy, believe me!! I just think about all those horrible kids who used to plague me, and their parent, then thwack, another rhodie bites the dust!! :D

14. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh don't remind me - parents!!!!!! being off sick for 8 months you tend to forget.