Castlewellan Gold Browning

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Sproule, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sproule

Sproule Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone

I was wondering if you could help me, I've recently planted around 120 Castlewellan gold trees to grow into a hedge but I've noticed a few have got this browning on the branches and trunk. I have looked for aphids but have found no bugs at all on them, I have however seen white spots on them that look like residue that you would have after boiling salt until all the water has evaporated.

We are in Northern Ireland and have had very warm dry weather for several weeks, but we had kept them well watered throughout the dry spell.

They appear to have new growth to replace the parts that have died, I'm hoping the brown parts will eventually be completely replaced.

Has anybody had this happen to their trees who could share some light on this?

Much appreciated

Kevin :)

[​IMG]
    by Kevs_Canon, on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,488
    Welcome to GC :blue thumb:

I don't know anything about possible diseases that attack Leylandii and my first thought would be lack of water - particularly with the heat we've had. When they are newly planted they need an enormous amount of water.

As you have so many trees I'm curious about how you're watering them. It is virtually impossible to give them enough by hand. In this sort of weather the loss of water through transpiration can be phenominal.

Hopefully someone with more tree experience than me may be able to give you more advice.

Good luck with it. :)

3. Sproule

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply

I have been watering them most nights with hose, but garden is slightly slanted to allow for drainage which could be taking the water away and not allowing to soak properly into soil, I will water the trees at the top first so that the water can flow down to the trees lower down.

You could be right about them not getting enough water during the spell of hot weather as the weather has changed to be more cool and wet there appears to be new growth.

Fingers crossed they will be okay

I have another small conifer tree out front that has got some aphids that have caused parts of the tree to brown and die, I'm not a knowledgable gardner at all but I have a disability and find it great for getting out doors more and our garden is close to an acre surrounding the house so there's always plenty to be doing.

Do you know if the parts of the tree that have died will get new growth or will it not repair at all? Also do you know what is effective at getting rid of the aphids? I've read some recipes involving soap oil and water, whether these are effective or not I do not know but I'm going to give them ago.

Thanks again!

Kevin

4. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    I would guess that watering 120 trees with a hand held hose is never going to be enough in this hot weather. As the trees are new they would each need gallons of water per day, particularly if you are on a slope. A seep hose would be much better and a lot easier for you. For information on that you really need someone like our member @Kristen to give advice. The @ before his name is what I have put there to put a notice out to him. It will go to him automatically.

Re aphids, I don't know anything about them as I don't use chemicals in the garden but I've never had aphids on my conifers (that I have noticed). If they really are aphids it seems unlikely that they would cause damage to a conifer.

5. Sproule

Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic I will look into seep hosing, the heavens are opening right now with thunder and lightening that will give them a good soaking.

I went out with a magnifying glass not knowing what size the aphids would be but I could see them without the magnifying glass, they are very small yellow to white colour but the bigger ones are much darker.

Sorry about the blurry images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    I've no idea what that is!! :hate-shocked: