1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. justracing

justracing Gardener

Jobbing builder/landscaper
    Ratings:
    +53
    Get a large Citronella candle and a cheese grater, grate the candle and spread it around the borders, works for me and it lasts a fair time. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to put off our resident urban fox and their urine reeks!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      but...but...snuggles & cuddles are a seriously good purpose!:rofllol:

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,595
        Peace to all is what I say.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,288
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Cat's and their wanderings are a divisive and emotional subject between gardeners, cat owners and those who dislike cats for whatever reason, which is why this Thread is still on a trial "leash".
          I have two Cats and, as most people know, they cannot get out of my garden due to the high fences, nor can any other cats get into my garden. So I can see both points of view when someone get upset by the intrusion of cats into their garden and also the pleasure that a cat owner has from owning one.
          But this thread is to discuss humane ways to deter cats, and possibly other animals, from gardens where they're causing damage and nuisance........and not to vent a person's spleen about cats. The only result of that is more upset and emotions raised which is why this Thread was closed on the first occasion:dunno:. So what is needed is humane, practical and sensible ideas that may help to deter cats from gardens.:snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
            Ratings:
            +121
            I like that citronella idea - might try that.
            Also might keep away general midgies - they don't like citronella.

My neighbour took two kittens from a stray cat and kept them in the house.
            Now they are bigger, she has put them outside - the mum has re-connected with them.
            But now it seems that they are always outside. I don't think she's 'adopted' them. Seems a bit strange. They are both collar-less with no tags, I'm starting to think they (with her two preteen children) took the kittens when they were small and cute and now don't want them.
            Bit sad. The kittens seem to live under my decking now.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,288
            Some cats prefer to live outside.

Our Oscar, sadly no longer with us, lived in the greenhouse but absolutely adored Mrs Shiney and followed her everywhere. He would sit at her feet when she was working in the garden and jump on her lap, shoulders, anywhere when she was sitting/lying down. But he was rarely interested in coming indoors.

• Like Like x 2
            • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,915
              is the mum living under your decking too? you might want to find out what the deal is with them cos if she's not neutered (or the kittens when old enough) you'll have problems :cat-kittyandsmiley:

edit = when i say problems i mean of the exploding puddy tat population variety :cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley::cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,472
                • Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,998
                  Couple of weeks ago I was working in a house and I saw the most smart idea ever ....
                  all the fence around had an extension made out of solid bamboo , when I asked the owner what was that for, he told me that it was made to keep the cat inside the garden , but he noticed that other cats couldn`t go inside as well as the bamboo is very slippery .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
                  • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,915
                    round of applause for the genius who thought this up! :dbgrtmb: applause.gif

• Like Like x 3
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Hmmm, to be honest I don't think that Bamboo of that height would make my Cat Jenny even break into a sweat.......as she brings her own ladder.:cat-kittyandsmiley::hate-shocked::heehee:
                      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's an ex-farm cat that I inherited when she was quite young from my brother who lives on a Farm just outside Buxton. I know she can jump onto a 6' fence without a problem and I spent months raising the height of my fences. Every time I thought I'd finally done it Jenny would find a new way to get over into my neighbours garden or onto the Garage roof. She reminded me of the Velociraptor in Jurassic Park that was always testing the fences for weaknesses. If any one thinks Cats aren't intelligent they should meet Jenny:cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Funny Funny x 4
                      • Like Like x 2
                      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                        Ratings:
                        +50,653
                        Great idea Sal for those who live in urban areas.

I have no remedies for anything. I have 'lost' a 7 year old 'homebody' cat five and a half weeks ago. I live in the middle of nowhere, well orange orchards of thousands of trees. I found this babe at birth and he just got up off the sofa behind me, walked out of the cat flap and disappeared ... ????

A 'neighbour' moved in two and a half years ago with several cats, including un-neutered males, although they have collars and tags. The Portuguese don't believe for the most part in neutering animals ... I could cry at the conditions some dogs are kept in chained all of their lives. Cats are for the purpose of keeping vermin at bay ... at least in the country where I live but the 'new' neighbour's cats roam and constantly come into our garden but what can you do ... I shout, scream, turn the hose on them. Strangely, the neighbour is an animal lover and is on the lookout for our Calvos!

My cats have been tormented by these un-neutered felines for a couple of years ... they just don't believe in neutering them ... like they don't for the most part for humans. My now missing darling has been to the vets seven times for attacks .... he is a simpleton having been starved of oxygen at birth and has never provoked an attack ... even though my near-on 18 year old and my 4 year old attacked him constantly .... for just being there.... it breaks my heart.

I still live in hope he got out of his 'comfort zone' and will find his way back someday.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Elizabeth13

Elizabeth13 Gardener

Nurse
                          Ratings:
                          +121

No, the mum can't get under - the gaps are very small.
                          She is probably un-spayed, she doesn't have a collar or tag either but neither does most of the cats I see about the area. Unfortunately I am in the City, and it's quite 'normal' to have these unneutered ?strays about.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
                            Ratings:
                            +1,468
                            I have 4 cats, and a garden currently under referb so plenty of of open soil. Only 2 of mine 'try' to use the garden, I have a handy spray bottle close by at all times that is filled with plain water. Should I see any of mine looking to do their business I give them a quick spray, I can get close as obviously I am familiar to them. They quickly learn not to go there.

I don't have any problems with neighboring cats, due to my own pride. ;-)

I did at one time a few years ago buy a bulk bag of hot curry powder which I spread on any bare soil, worked well but with our wet climate needed refreshing every few days.

• Like Like x 1