Cat using my raised bed as a litter tray !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jasonlamont, Mar 20, 2011.

1. jasonlamont

jasonlamont Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the 1s time i have built a raised bed - i have some purple sprouting broccoli that i have moved into the bed from pots but have just noticed today the neighbours cat has used my bed as a toilet !:mad:

I have removed the offensive item :cry3:

But is my bed now ruined ? Do i dig out a cple of inches of the bed and start again ?

I'm considering covering it with mesh ??

Any advice gratefully received ?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same problem with the onion sets I planted yesterday.

Just put mesh over the bed. Twigs help keep them off too.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I've got two cats but only grow herbaceous and not veg's, but having said that my moggies use the litter tray and not the garden - they know better - other cats can't get in as the fences are 8' in height.
    Other people's cats can be a real pain, the trouble is once visited you'll get them returning.

This is a much discussed subject!, But I reckon Jason's advice seems to be what you need to do - or a shotgun!

4. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    Its as though you took the words right out of my mouth.

:paladin:

5. Louise 1

Louise 1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Make the fine mesh a small mesh too, like chicken wire, because it'll not be as good a deterrent if it's a larger, more open square.

6. jasonlamont

jasonlamont Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice. Have covered with a fine white mesh....sprinkled coffee grounds around the bed....and poured some cat repellent jollop bought from local garden centre.

The shotgun is next on the list. Although i do like my neighbour.....might consider a silenced Walther PPK

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Isn't that James Bond's preffered weapon?

:heehee:

[​IMG]

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    We must have clever cats round here an 8' fence would not deter them.
    I have seen them climbing a house wall well over 8' to get to bird nests.
    They are a pain , they spoil everything you try to grow.

9. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Sorry Lynn, I should have been more descriptive of the fence. It's 6 foot lengths of 2" X 4" timber dropped horizontally between concrete posts up to a height of 8' plus a three foot extension in height of fairly slack chicken wire, and that's the thing the cat's don't like to climb as it gives towards them and they're "leaning" backwards in the climb.:what:

I did this to keep my cats in and not other cats out! The younger of the two cat's, Jenny, would get up on the garage roof, and couldn't get down, so I was repeatedly getting up there to get her down. She was born on a farm and used to roaming . Then she'd be over the ordinary 6' fence I had into other people's gardens and also in danger of going onto the road and getting run over.:cry3:

I spent weeks trying to find ways to keep her in until I got the idea of the slack chicken wire, and even then spending more weeks because I was fixing sections where I thought she was climbing, only for her to find somewhere else she could climb over. I had one experience of being up a ladder on one section of the fence putting up the chicken wire, and having finished and congratulating myself, when I found her looking at me sitting on the top of the timber fence from the other side of the chicken wire. I could have sworn she had that "you idiot" smile on her feline face. She'd found another gap I'd missed and walked along just to mock me.:scratch:

Anyway, after much trials, she is now longer able to wander into danger. But I think she still eyes up the fence trying to work out how to defeat the slack chicken wire. If I see here carrying a shovel I'll start to worry again:D

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Anti Cat measures now in place and onion sets re planted.

[​IMG]

The american shovel is only a last resort.

Having done that, I returned to the home plot to find somethings eaten nearly all the leeks I planted out last week:DOH:

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Sorry, Ziggy, I was hungry!":heehee:

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Over the years I've tried just about everything and the only thing that works 100% is a physical barrier over the beds until plants are established.

Luckily the local cat population over the past couple of years has been quite reduced ("it wasn't me gov' honest") and cat excrement hasn't been much of a problem - touch wood.

13. wozwoz

wozwoz Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello my lovely , I have been told that a pheremone spray that u can get from the vets can be effective : )[/size][/font][hr]
    Hello my lovely , I have been told that a pheremone spray that u can get from the vets can be effective : )

14. lb7110

lb7110 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or try slicing a lemon and adding to the soil as they dont like the smell!

15. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And there was me thinking it was stupid pidgeons :heehee: