Cats Cats Cats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by scooby-mas, Jul 27, 2010.

1. scooby-mas

scooby-mas Gardener

Postie
    Ratings:
    +31
    HI, ive recently put wood chipings in the borders of my garden roughly sixteen bags worth, but every morning i get i find most of it on the grass, i know next doors cats play in it, is there anything i can put down to stop this? any ideas would be great it did,nt bother me at first but now, im getting bored of it.... thanks...... :scratch:

2. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there ! It wont all be due to the cats. Birds, blackbirds particularly spread it all over the place looking for bugs and worms k-l

3. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Coleus Canina better known as the cat chaser could be your answer.Cats hate the smell so it can be very useful if they are unwelcome visitors in your garden. it can be grown in pots as well as in the ground.
    go on line for prices there are a lot of special offers on at the moment. music:cool:.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Are you sure it's cats, Scooby-mas.
    I know they can be problematic, but it doesn't all sound like cats to me.
    Blackbirds dig and howk all over the place. Sounds like their work to me.

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,454
    Seems much more like birds to me as well. Almost certainly blackbirds or magpies. They tend to throw things everywhere.

Cats would only, normally, either make hollows to sit in or dig a toilet which they would cover up again and not throw it everywhere.

6. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    It's amazing how much damage magpies and crows can cause. There was a lovely clip on Springwatch a while back showing a crow marching systematically along a border pulling up those little wire hoops which people use as edging. He uprooted them one by one and then chucked them to one side with an air of utter disdain! Perhaps he would have preferred bent willow. Feathered garden snobs ... that's all we need.

7. michell8151

michell8151 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When you are tidying the garden, while shovelling, do you find evidence of intruders being in your garden. Does the toilet mess vary. Do you get mess where hairs grow out of it? Mostly its the foxes foul. I:cutflwrs::cutflwrs::cutflwrs:find in my garden, where I have dug the soil, or layed some mulching, they always want to shovel it up, and leave their statement.

8. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    I have nine cats. With that said, truly don't see any crazy distruction in my gardens.
    Not sure they are cats for you either.