Cats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mark78, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Mark78

Mark78 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Didnt really know where to put this so I thought in here would be ok.

Ive got a problem with Cat poo, it seems as though every cat in the neighbourhood like to mess up my front and my back garden. I wouldnt mind if they did their business in a corner or under a bush but they all seem to enjoy plopping on my grass. I thought cats liked to bury their waste?

The biggest problem of all is my cat is one of the culprits so its not as if I can go knocking on peoples doors complaining about their cats when mine is inviting all the other felines to the party.

How on earth can I stop them? im sick of my boys stepping in the stuff especially my youngest who isnt very steady on his feet hes only 18 months old so his hands are down on the ground a lot, and as toddlers have a habit of putting their fingers in their mouths you can understand my concern.

Even though I go round picking and bagging as much as I can see every week there seems to be loads more I feel like im fighting a loosing battle

Help! :(

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ah a perennial problem us non cat ownners suffer from,I would suggest you fence off a small corner of the garden were your sprog cannot reach, fill it with some nice sand border it with catmint and lure the cats there,you may get suggestions about water pistols,size 9 boots etc but you cann't be there 24/7 and they have to do it somewhere, so don't chase them into someone elses garden (out of site out of mind the attitude of most cat owners) and good luck.

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Cats again.:D I love the threads about cats! C'mon, walnut, don't stop all the fun:D

You can get special sprays that will stop cats using a specific area. I've found that a drenching of the whole area with Jeyes works. You have to be careful with the dilution or it will kill the grass, not to mention the kids!! Once they have found that your area is not pleasnt for them they'll get into the habit of going somewhere else. Cats are Cats. Cats and children don't mix. Dogs and children don't mix.:)

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A WATER pistol is a good detterent. Water In bold so no one oversensitive starts world war three like last time we got started on this lol!!!!

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Paul said,
    Not many people can sit there 24/7 waiting with a water pistol,the problem mainly arises at night when the owners let them go free range.

6. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Keeping the grass cut short at all times seems to help. If the neighbour's grass is longer I find that the cats go there. And vice versa.

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    walnut,

this is not like you-you are being..........well.............frankly liberal, it leaves me at all sixes and sevenses.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Forget water pistols - a well aimed bucket of water is a great deterrent:D When we had chickens at home when I was a child, we found the local cats stopped visiting after a few well aimed soakings. Wonder if their owners were puzzled at their moggies returning home rather wet?:D

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Just love the "cats" threads. A cat actually owns me,( cat owners will know) if anyone's interested:D

10. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
  11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I know exactly what you mean, cats don't have owners, they have staff.

The outdoor gravel pit is the best solution, it works for me, both my cats use it, I haven't seen any other cats last long in my garden the youngest has recently taken a very territorial attitude and sees any intruders off.

I honestly don't understand why they would be going on the lawn though, they do like to bury it, hence the wreck they can make of a seed bed.

Have a water pistol outside with you, and if you miss them in the night then you miss them, you can only try your best.

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Claire said,
    You little treasure Claire your one of the few resposible owners:gnthb: wish all owners did that.

13. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    I think 1eyedjack & Lolli have it in a nutshell..... Keep the grass short & a gravel or sand pit, that combination works very well....

14. butterflies

butterflies Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We're having problems with two cats at the moment, despite my two dogs telling them they're very unwelcome in their garden! Have you tried "get off" it seems to work for me, its a spray i got from pets at home and have literally only spritzed it in a few places and it seems to have done the trick over the past few weeks :thumb:

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm training my dog to jump over the fence and do its buiness in my neighbours garden wonder how long they will be before they complain.:D:D:D