Celosia Kimono Mixed - seed collection question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Freedom_Spark, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I got a few of these small celosia flowers this year and they are beginnning to wither, I was wondering how seeds should be collected from these? Also, I read somewhere that that these were hybrids & so if growing from seed the new plants may not resemble the parent plant, what does this mean? Would it be a different colour/shape or a different looking plant entirely?

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    A hybrid is a cross between two plants liken it to the offspring between two people there child could look like one or the other or nothing like either so the seeds will probably not produce any plants that look like the plant you have. You can go ahead and collect the seed to see what you might get. Take the dried bloom and gently shake it over a white piece of paper or paper towel. The tiny, shiny black seeds should be evident as the fall from the spent flower.