Central heating boiler

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nathan7, Sep 29, 2009.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    We have a condenser central heating boiler IDEAL and I am trying to get the water to come on hot without the central heating, The time switch is a Drayton SM1 but I am having a little problem, Does anyone know if the pressure gauge below the boiler, should be on the lowest point, like ours is, Or is they a way of adjusting it in any way, I was going to call a plumber to ask his advice, but I thought I would see if anyone on GC has had this type of problem

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Is the gauge marked in 'bars'? If so then I would guess you will need to re-pressurise your system - surely your user guide will tell you how to do this as all boilers vary. If its an older boiler you might have a filling loop that needs connecting to the mains. More modern boilers are permanently connected to the mains and have a couple of small stop cocks allowing you to re-pressurise to about 1 bar. If you don't have a user guide or don't feel confident then call a central heating engineer.

3. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If the pressure has dropped it means you have a leak somewhere. AS JWK says, find the filling loop and SLOWLY open it to increase the pressure to between 1-1.5 bar.Click on this link http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=2ba436756aa7fb78b41dcb3c9783d112 Register for free and post about your problem, you will get a professional answer pretty quickly from the guys on there, they are nearly all gas engineers that reply on the boards.They will also tell you how bad a boiler an Ideal is, nearly as bad as my Sime.

4. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Nathan, do you mean you can currently get the hot water on, but only with the central heating ? If so then its probably the divertor valve thats faulty. Quite expensive part too I am afraid.

If nothing comes on at all and the pressure is low then yes you will need to top it up to get anything to work at all. It doesnt always mean the boiler is leaking though, for example if you have bled the radiators it takes pressure out of the system therefore making the pressure drop.

I work for a gas company btw :) (and a letting agents but thats another story lol)

Ideal are good boilers ..... Sime arent though I am afraid Kev. The lads grumble if I ever send them to a Sime :(

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    This could be the problem, but Nathan says the pressure gauge is zero.

I agree the divertor valve is a real weak link in central heating systems, but it's usually the little synchronous motor that fails inside the valve. These cost about £10 and take 15 mins to swap. A plumber may well charge an awful lot more to fix it, but it's well within a DIYers scope to save a few bob. :thumb:

6. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Many thanks John I have a plumber friend of ours coming to look tomorrow will let you know the result thank you also Sam and Kev

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Let us know what your plumber says Nathan, it will be interesting to hear what was wrong.