Cerinthe major

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by returnmack, Mar 13, 2008.

1. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

has anyone seen cerinthe major available as plants anywhere - I've tried the RHS plant finder database, but it's not very reliable on this one. I have tried seeds but - to be honest - with three very young children and no greenhouse or cold frame, I'm struggling for places to grow seed that has enough light and that won't immediately be tipped on the floor :(

I saw cerinthe at the Alnwick Garden last year and I'm so in love with it now, I must have it!

2. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll ask my mum if she's still got any left in her garden, shes been trying to get rid of them for the last 2 years!! :D

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi returnmack. I have loads of cerinthe. I gave several people seed in autumn. and it seeds so profusely I still have some left which I kept in case it didn't self seed but no worries, I now have loads of seedlings all over the garden. It was like Topsy, it just growed after self seeding. You don't need a greenhouse or cold-frame, and once it takes you will never be without it. It is invasive (but lovely). If you want a couple of seedlings to get you started just PM me your address and/or I could send you some seed. Mine germinated over the winter so just pop them straight in.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  5. returnmack

returnmack Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much - good to know it grows well in Yorkshire! I'll PM my address.