Chamomile Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by jay, Jun 27, 2006.

1. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    How's that done then? As chamomile isn't a flat growing plant???

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    The variety 'Treneague' is a low growing seldom flowering variety which is used for lawns. It grows easily from seed and will form a soft cushiony mass which should be clipped rather than mown. Ground is prepared as for an ordinary lawn.

3. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  4. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Their are two chamomiles you can use ..either chamaemelum nobile which is the fragrant flowering lawn..and you can either just scatter the seeds in and water ..dont let it dry or and keep it weed free..or you can start the seeds off in pots and then plant out 10cm apart...
    and the other is lawn treneague..this is non flowering and requires no cutting and it cant be grown from seed you need to buy the runners from suffolk herbs ...and both have apple fragrance..

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Oh dear I wonder what variety mine is then- haven't kept seed packet. Mine is a low growing one with very few flowers- smells lovely when trodden on. I was going to buy more seed to extend it, only about 3' square at the moment. I 'll have to save seed, i usually clip off what flowers there are. It doesnt grow high even when not clipped, spreads along.
    Sorry, Jay

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There was once a fashion for chamomile seats or couches. The idea was that you grew it as an aromatic place to sit when stroling in your garden. Must have been a bit damp on the bum though! There was one in the Cambridge Botanic Gardens when I last visited.

7. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No problem Liz! Thanks WF [​IMG]
    Hornbeam, we'll all just have to wear PVC trousers then wont we, or have sweet smelling bums!! :D

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    liz. you must have the nobile one its okay just leave the flower heads on a bit and it will self seed like crazy..i grow it and it even grows in holes in the path the wind blows the seed everywhere..you dont need to keep buying seed let it do its own seeding..