Chamomile lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by fmay, Jul 21, 2006.

1. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any experience of a chamomile lawn?
    We have a pathway between the trees that is totally devoid of grass because 5 dogs and 6 humans constantly use it (rather than fighting a way thro the other trees!). I have bought some'Chamomile Lawn' seeds from Suffolk seeds to plant in this area and wonder what success I will have?

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You will get a lovely scent when you walk or sit on it, but I don't think that it will be very hard wearing. It's not as tough as grass.

3. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It does say that it thrives from being walked on......

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well you can try it and see what happens [​IMG] My little black book says "Anthemis nobilis (common chamomile) can be used to form small fragrant lawns provided it is not subject to hard wear. For this purpose it is advisable to use the vigorous non-flowering variety which needs little mowing".

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,147
    I've never experienced it but I remember the movie "The Camomile Lawm" .. does anyone else?

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Haven't seen the film but read the book. Mary Wesley was an amazing lady.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think a chamomile lawn would survive where grass doesn't. My dogs aren't allowed on my little one. Wildflower thinks mine is Anthemis nobilis; the non-flowering variety Treneague comes from cuttings only.

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    fmay ..The chamomile you are planting ..will need mowing eventually as it flowers..I suppose in a few years time when its self seeded a lot it will be quite hardy..as it will be dense..i have some in between slabs and the dog keeps walking on it and it just looks squashed and a bit weedy..you can mix the two chamomiles together to make a dense lawn with flowers...the chamomile treneague doesnt need mowing at all if you plant that one alone..that sounds good no lawn mowing.. [​IMG]

8. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I quite like mowing!

9. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    pachysandra also makes a good lawn and very tough.