Charlotte Potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by prettypolly, May 14, 2008.

1. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I have grown some Charlotte potatoes in a big bin, I think it was around the end of March (no patience :-)). They look pretty tall now, how would I know when they are ready for harvesting? I have been told two things 1, they have to flower, or 2, the leaves have to wilt, I wasn't quite sure so I thought I would ask you guy's as you all seem pretty knowlegable. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Polly, do you have the pot full of compost? Normally, you would take the flowerheads off the plant, you want all the energy going to the potatoes not the flowers. Assuming you have the pot filled to the top with compost, you can scrape away a little of it and check on your crops progress. If they are about the size of a hen`s egg, then they are big enough to use as "new " potatoes. Any smaller and I would leave them a couple more weeks.:thumb::)

3. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Yes David, full of compost, as you can see our "yard" is only concrete. There have been no flowers on them yet, so I guess not ready, tomorrow I will do as you say and scape some compost away to have a look. Thankyou.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,124
    It seems charlotte is a second early, so just my thoughts, but I think it might need a few weeks yet.
    Its one of those pots that taste like earlies, but really are not.

I cant stand spuds that are dug too early, yuck.:)

5. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hello, Just thougt I would show you my "bumper" crop wasn't that many, won't be giving up my day job but I am pleased seeing it was the first time I had grown them. I did put to many in as when I went to pull them out the bin, it came out very potbound, well in one actually, but after cooking them and eating them I am pleased, I still have 3 more different variaties left, but forgotten what they are as the tickets got covered as I was putting the earth in as they were growing
    [​IMG]

6. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They look delicious. I only planted my potatoes in May, so they're not ready yet, but I am really looking forward to them!

7. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    They were delicous Rosiemongrel, I also have some more growing along with 2 other varities, which I planted in May, so will be looking forward to them as well :-)

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,669
    " Just thougt I would show you my "bumper" crop wasn't that many"

That looks like a huge crop to me. Each individual plant always looks like its only given a couple of tubers, but overall it mounts up.

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Well done, PP. Did they flower then? Don't know anything about spuds:)

cheers

10. prettypolly

prettypolly Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Yes they did, not as many as I thought though, I was reading that you should pick the flowers off, so I did for a few of them but then left them alone as I read that you should leave them :-)