cheap and chearful plastic greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by oakdaledave, Mar 28, 2011.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys, I don't have a lot of money to spend, but noticed a plastic greenhouse in Wilkinsons the other day for about £15. I realise of course it wouldn't last for ever, but at that price I would be happy if it lasted about 2 years. What do others think............would I be wasting my money?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :thumbsup: My friend had one & 2yrs was it's life span, but he did leave it out through the winters & that did for it I think..
    He has just got another one so as long as you are happy that they will only last about 2yrs max then they are an excellent buy at £15.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +91,810
      Hi OakdaleDave just purchased one myself ,just as long as you know its limitations it will do you a treat, that's only £7.50p a year,15p a week, go for it my friend:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
        +67
        I have one and its fine.You can also get replacement covers which extends their life

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          If it's this one http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/mini-greenhouses+propagation/wilko-mini-greenhouse-4-tier/invt/0169741/?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D then it's been reduced to £12 online with the option of collect from store. It may also be reduced instore.

When my wife was helping with the village primary school gardening project she got a very similar one (with spare cover - but I've read that these can degrade/split along the folds in prolonged storage, so might be worth rolling it up) to use in their courtyard and it did the job.

According to OH it's still going strong after 7 years!

• Like Like x 1
          • oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
            +7
            I think I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. Would be very useful. Thanks guys

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +49,452
            I'm using the remains of one in my shed as shelving (after the plastic cover gave up the ghost) - it's useful for storing onions over winter.

• ismeval

ismeval Gardener

Ratings:
            +8
            Like John - I also had one of these and used the remains as shelving in my greenhouse - cheaper than buying shelving !

Val

• Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
            +1
            I have a small plastic one in the garden where I start my seeds off before moving them to the allotment, it then takes 2 gro-bags of tomatoes through the summer with the shelves taken out.
            It looks like it should give a third year so I definitely recommend them.