Check Hydroponics Nutrients Labels Before Using

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by nancyjones, Apr 18, 2011.

1. nancyjones

nancyjones Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Growers,

While using hydroponics nutrients in your garden, what things are necessary to check on labels. Why we should check ingredients of nutrients. Why there is a price difference on two company's products having same ingredients. If anybody has information about this do let me know.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :scratch: Well I didn't think you used Hydroponic food on plants in your garden.. Seems an odd question....!!!!! :scratch:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    Not sure about the labels question either :what:

Re: "Why there is a price difference on two company's products having same ingredients" All companies charge different amounts for the same thing Nancy, it happens on all products, it's down to what you think a brand is worth.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Nancy - are you really talking of hydroponics? Very few gardeners use hydroponics. Its mainly used by commercial growers and drug addicts. If you are talking of soluble plant food, then do let us know. We all use that.

5. Hex_2011

Hex_2011 Gardener

Ratings:
    +134
    Thats a bit of a blinkered view of hydroponics Pete :loll:
    I`m not a commercial grower or a drug addict :) Hydro can be as simple as a bucket of perlite with a hole drilled in the side.
    Dont pay the ridiculous asking price for hydroponic nutrients, make your own. Its cheaper than buying bottle of a typical soil fertilizer like tomatorite etc. Its not for everyone but it beats lugging compost around, digging, weeding and fighting bugs. I just water it once every 3 days and watch it grow :)
    [​IMG]

6. hydromode

hydromode Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I m not sure how the ingredients matter as no one knows about the entire list present in the nutrients and this is because the state laws have forbidden hydroponics companies to put up with the complete information about nutrients on their labels. you can have a look about the details in this article here Advanced Nutrients Hydroponics Experts Reveal Government Regulation of Hydroponics Industry - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTNV.com,Action News .:.

while the prices differe and the ingredients remain the same, i say the concentration of the nutes are more when they are high prices, so all you have to do it take a small amount of it and dilute it with enough water unlike the cheap nutes where you require them in bulk.