Chelsea Physic Garden

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Juliasaurus, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Got the chance to go to their Snowdrop Weekend last Saturday, as part of my birthday treat, and it was lovely! �£7.00 for adults, �£4.50 for penniless students like myself. Children are only allowed in if they are supervised at all times (and all the ones I saw were impeccably behaved).

Chelsea Physic Garden is the second oldest botanical garden in England (more information about it is available on http://www.chelseaphysicgarden.co.uk/). It has so many different layouts, all in one rather small space, but I could spend days in there, I'm sure.

They have plants laid out by their function, as dyestuffs, chemicals and medicines. The medicinal plants are grouped by geographical area, and by the body part they work on. There are tropical houses with ferns and palms, fruit and vegetable areas, a cold fernery (which I loved) and their famous Systematic Beds, where dicotyledonous plants are grouped by families.

I put all my photos up in my Picasa directory here, but hopefully I can put some of my favourites here:

The famous snow-drops:
    [​IMG]

Close-up of the tip of a monkey puzzle branch:
    [​IMG]

The cold fernery
    [​IMG]

I'm contemplating getting membership, because then you can go even when the gardens aren't open to the public (which would be wonderful!). And it's open until 10pm on Wednesdays in July and August, and I'm already dreaming of balmy summer evenings there (although at the rate that I'm accumulating plants I'll have a pretty good botanical garden in Isleworth!).

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Lovely pictures Julia. If you are close it may be well worth getting membership. If you go reglarly you can learn so much more. I am a member of the RHS and live close to Harlow Carr. I find it very good value. I make a point of chatting to the staff every time I visit and asking them questions - I think they like a short distraction.

3. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Peter - I'm still a bit hit and miss with the camera (not that easy to be sure I've got something in focus when I look at it on the screen), but I love the one I took of the Araucaria. And a very good point about learning things. A definite incentive for spending time in that garden rather than my own from time to time.

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Julia thank you posting so enjoyed and also viewed your Picasa photos.

You are so lucky yo be close my adn yes if you can take full opportunity of a membership.

And belated happy birthday I am sure you had a lovely day.

5. Juliasaurus

Juliasaurus Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Scotkat - it was definitely one of the best birthday celebrations I've had. I did not stop grinning from the moment I walked in until about an hour after coming home!

I think you and Peter have convinced me to become a member, definitely!