Cherry laurels are dying

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by jaffa, May 9, 2023.

1. jaffa

jaffa Apprentice Gardener

Smallholder
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

We have a smallholding, and on one of the fields (where we do our veg growing etc), we wanted a line of laurels to act as a divider in the field, and as a bit of a wind break. The laurels are 40 feet or so from any other plants - so not worried too much about the bad rap they get about being poisonous etc.

We picked laurels as the previous owners had planted 2 or 3 dozen where we didnt want them - so last autumn, we dug them up and moved them - and they seemed to be doing well.

But now, in the last month, a few of them seem to be dying. First the leaves turned yellow, then got brown patches, and then started falling off - some of them are just branches now with very little leaf.

They are planted in grass (with wood chip as mulch to keep the grass away). Our field has moles that used some of the laurels as support - mole hills appeared under them, but then thats also true for some that seem to be doing ok with no leaf loss.

We also have lawn grubs - not 100% sure what type - but they are either Japanese beetle grubs, European chafer grubs, or June beetle grubs (judging by photos I have found online). And of course, slugs in the grass.

I just dug up one of the laurels to see what I could see underground - it came up fairly easily (much easier than when I moved them last year) - which suggests not an extensive root system. I saw a couple of slugs and a pile of slug eggs, but could not see grubs or if roots had been chewed or anything else. But, the root ball was fairly small - I would have expected with 7 or 8 months since moving, the roots to have spread out.

The soil is clay, has been boggy for the last few months - is currently a little damp but no longer water logged or wet as such. They are in full sun (when it shines).

Any ideas what is going on? Can they be saved? If so, how?

Thanks all

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    How much soil did you leave on them when lifted? When I worked in a nursery, we lifted laurels up to 8ft for sale, but they were rootballed and wrapped, to approx 400mm diameter ball. Advised to plant tightly, on well rotted manure or compost and watered for the first year. (Done naturally in West Wales !!)
    High nitrogen fertiliser 20-10-10 used to boost, ie an extra foot in height more than paid for it ....

3. jaffa

jaffa Apprentice Gardener

Smallholder
    Ratings:
    +0
    The root ball was pretty large as I recall - maybe 40 to 50 cm on most
    The plants were about 3ft when lifted - most are 4 to 5ft now
    I have not fed them or anything - put them in and let them get on with it
    I might have put some bonemeal/blood in - cant remember

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    may have been waterlogged for a while plus we had a cold frosty winter which wouldn't of helped been evergreen and if the soil frozen they do tend to lose leaves ... just leave for now and I woudnt feed this year while the new roots are growing away just waterif we have a dry week through the summer