Cherry Laurels - Holes In Leaves

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Antman, Sep 3, 2024.

1. Antman

Antman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello,

I planted 11 Cherry Laurels a couple of months ago. They seem to be doing okay for the most part and generally look quite healthy.

However in the past few weeks I have noticed quite a few of the leaves have holes in, mostly the top/ new growth. Some holes with slight browning on a few lower leaves.

I haven't noticed any slugs or obvious pests on them.

I would imagine there might be multiple causes, but was just wondering if anyone with some experience on pests/ diseases might have any suggestions to what could create these holes and if treatment is necessary?

See attached pictures

Attached Files:

2. BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
    Ratings:
    +260
    The angular holes are typical of Vine Weevil, unfortunately. The adults eat the leaves while the grubs in the soil eat the roots, so a double-pronged attack. I'm not sure what the current recommendation for treatment is, but there are a lot of options including traps for the adults which may help.
    The weevils are nocturnal so you won't see them during the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Antman

Ratings:
      +3
      Thanks for your reply Bob, I looked up Vine Weevils, seem like a tricky pest to get rid of! I will keep an eye out for them at night, but hoping its not them . Is there anything else besides weevils to look out for that could cause that? Aside from slugs and snails.

Thanks

• BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
      Ratings:
      +260
      There's nothing else which produces those distinctive holes, unfortunately.
      Perhaps someone else here has had success in fighting them?

• Like Like x 1
      • Antman

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks for your help Bob, I will have to monitor the situation. I also saw some other laurels today in different locations with the same leaf damage. They were quite big and looked healthy for the most part, so hoping they can cope alongside the weevils.

Attached Files:

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,438
        If they're healthy otherwise, they'll manage. Cherry laurel is fairly indestructible, unless it's not growing in a suitable site, or doesn't have adequate moisture. Once they're properly established, they'll be fine. That will take until next summer.
        Planting shrubs, trees or hedging through the summer months can be difficult if you're not in a wetter area, which is why autumn through winter is better. Keep them watered until you have consistent autumn/winter rain, and a good mulch of bark or similar will help keep the soil healthy. :smile:
        It's largely cosmetic damage for them, and that happens with laurel anyway because they can get things like shot hole, which is also unsightly.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Antman

Ratings:
          +3
          Thank you very much for your informative reply Fairygirl. It is much appreciated and very positive to hear. I will keep those suggestions in mind and see how they go

• Like Like x 1
          • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
            Ratings:
            +4,438
            I'm sure they'll be fine @Antman. Once the weather's cooler and damper, they'll setle in and you can also trim back any affected stems, but it's probably better just to wait until next year when they'll be nicely established. I have vine weevil here in the garden, but the laurels just shrug it off as they're a decent enough age and maturity.
            Once they get going, they'll be getting trimmed fairly regularly, and even if you get some damage, it's just how it is with many shrubs/hedges, not just laurel. Many people dislike it because it can grow very rapidly once established, and become very large, but it's a great windbreak, and provides shelter for birds etc. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
            • Antman

Ratings:
              +3
              Thanks again Fairygirl, you have gone above and beyond providing valuable information. I really do appreciate it and has helped put my mind at some ease about the future of the Laurels in question. Thank you very much

• Like Like x 1
              • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                Ratings:
                +4,438
                I think you'll be fine @Antman . They're generally easy shrubs - too easy sometimes, but unless there's something else affecting them that we can't determine from photos etc, I wouldn't be too worried.
                Re the vine weevil though, I've never used nematodes for things like laurel, and I don't really use them anyway because you have to have the right temps and conditions for them to work, and the timing just doesn't work for my location. Many people have used them to good effect though, and I did try them once for Heucheras, which they love, and are often badly affected when in pots. I'd unfortunately brought them into this garden in a plant I bought. I see evidence of them on some shrubs, but it doesn't affect the overall health of the shrub - just the appearance of the odd bit of foliage. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
                • Antman

Ratings:
                  +3
                  Thanks again, its very useful to know, you certainly know your plants

• Like Like x 1
                  • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
                    Ratings:
                    +1,908
                    The only product I've had proper success with is called Bug Clear.
                    I've only ever used it in pots and tubs, but it gets rid of chafer grubs and as a bonus, lily beetle as well

• Like Like x 1
                    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                      Ratings:
                      +4,438
                      I think I used that at one point too @flounder , but it was a long time ago, and just for v. weevil because of the problem re timing [and expense!] for nematodes. I can't remember if it worked well though!
                      It would have been in pots that had Heucheras, as I wouldn't have bothered using it on any shrubs.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Allotment Boy

Allotment Boy Lifelong Allotmenteer

Retired Medical Lab Scientist
                        Ratings:
                        +347
                        I have used nematodes to good effect but @fairygirl is correct you need the timing and conditions to be right. The soil needs to be constantly damp and above 5 C , the nematodes effectively "swim" in the spaces between soil particles. Now is an excellent time to use them, the soil should be damp and still warm enough, the eggs laid a few weeks ago will be hatched and the grubs still quite small, so not too much damage yet.
                        They are relatively expensive.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1