Cherry Tomatos - bumper crop

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Dave W, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    My Gardeners Delight are doing very well after a slow start. Today I started drying the surplus for use over winter.
    The outdoor ones have been splitting almost as soon as they ripen due to the more or less constant rain we had in August so we've resorted to picking them just as they start to ripen and then finish ripening them in trays.

The toms in the big box are outdoor ones I picked yesterday. The two small boxes contain the last two days pickings from the one plant I've got in the polytunnel - it's produced an enormous crop so far this year.
    [align=center][​IMG][/align]

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    Good result Dave. I'd be interested to know if your outdoor Gardeners Delight taste different to the polytunne? I'm convinced that my outdoor GD are much much sweeter than my greenhouse ones.

3. kev25v6

kev25v6 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grew sweet 100 this year instead of gardeners delight as i did last year. After growing some of the larger toms this year ive decided to just plant 2/3 sweet 100 next year as i have had well over a 100 of each plant and they are still going now.The cherrys have so much more flavour than the bigger toms.

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    John, to be perfectly honest there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference in taste between the ploytunnel cherry toms and those grown outside. I have however always noticed a difference in taste beween toms grown in big pots in my greenhouse and those outside and in the polytunnel.
    There could be as number of reasons, but the toms in the tunnel and outside are sown a month later and are much slower to develop. Could be that accelerated growth comes at the cost of flavour.

5. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've grown GD in one of the greenhouses this year, and didn't bother with any outdoors due to the fact that I'm tired of blight getting to my outdoor toms every year! The ones in my greenhouse are delicious, so much so that the kids are eating them like candy. I have to hide any that I want for a specific purpose!

6. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Nice crop there, Dave, and they look extremely tasty as well...

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    You could be right there Dave, I think someone else on here (it might have been pete) thought that the extra stress of growing outside helped the flavour as well.

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Splendid harvest Dave. I love it when it the hard work comes together and we get results like you have.

9. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    Last year I lost ALL my outdoor crop to blight so this year I've been spraying regularly since I noticed that potato blight had been identified on a farm in this area. No sign of blight here so far - touch wood!