Cherry tree problem

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nikirushka, Apr 17, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    A friend has a cherry tree, morello I believe. It's 5 or 6 years old, and around 4ft tall. It's not been pruned.

Every year, the cherries appear and then every year, so she thought, the birds were getting them - so last year, I put up a big cage around it. But the cherries still disappeared, when they were roughly 1/3" big.

On closer inspection, I found them on the ground, dried and shrivelled, and then more on the tree going the same way. Not knowing what it was, I took off all the bad ones and cleared away the fallen.

On the tree itself, there were a number of curled leaves, which had blackfly in - I'm assuming this is the cherry blackfly. I removed these as well in case they were causing the problem with the fruit.

Is this likely, or I do we have two different issues going on? What can we do to get this tree fruiting properly?

2. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    Anyone...? Tree is now coming into blossom so we would like to stop it happening again!

3. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,127
    This happened to mine last year and was due to it running out of water.

4. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,831
    Cherry blackfly is really damaging. They make the leaves curl up with the blackfly inside the curled up leaves which means spraying with a contact spray like soapy water is useless. I had a cherry that every year got attacked by blackfly and I think it so weakens the tree that the fruit drops off.....that's my theory anyway. Eventually I gave up on the cherry tree sadly and planted something else.

5. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    in the old days they used to spray fruit trees with a solution made of sulphur, but I am not sure that it is allowed anymore for environmental reasons. Check. But I would imagine that the damage is already done now, if you say that the tree is in flower...

6. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    It's just getting started. I don't know if there was any problem with the blossoms last year but it did start to fruit - the cherries got to about 1/3" before they started to shrivel up and fall off. So something's happening in that time frame. I suspect it is the black fly so I want to treat for them as a starting point, I just want to make sure I use the right stuff!

7. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,127