Chicken Manure Pellets & Veg

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Februarysgirl, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +262
    Last year I grew veg in containers and used a topsoil/compost/farmyard manure mix. I'm low on farmyard manure but also want to keep costs down (large vet bills) so I'm wondering how much of what I'm intending grow, would chicken manure be suitable for as I'm not short of that.

The veg I'm going for this year are

Potatoes - Valor
    Carrots - Flyaway
    Broad Beans - Sutton's Dwarf
    Cucumbers - La Diva
    Broccoli - Cardinal

I'm also growing Just Add Cream strawberries, which I was intending to use the last of the farmyard manure for. Would chicken manure actually be better?

2. BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
    Ratings:
    +279
    Hi @Februarysgirl
    The spuds will be fine with chicken manure added at planting time and will benefit from the calcium. Carrots don't need anything and are best grown without addition. The beans will fix their own nitrogen, so won't benefit much. The cucumbers will love it, as they use lots of nitrogen, as will the broccoli (or any other member of the cabbage family.)
    I'm not sure about the strawberries - you may get too much foliage, so I'd use the manure on them, as you planned. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Februarysgirl

Februarysgirl Gardener

Ratings:
      +262
      • Like Like x 1