Chicken manure

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by sawfish, Jan 29, 2006.

1. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone tell me if chicken manure is a slow release fertilizer that will last over a few years like horse manure?

Also what are the advantages of chicken manure over horse?

2. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    usually you buy chicken manure as dried pellets ..therefore non smelly
    horse manure may be composted and comes in bigger bags, it probably has a lot more fibre, due to mix of droppings and bedding, this means the organic matter will be available over a longer period
    i reckon to add chicken manure 2-4 times per year, but horse manure only once

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Don't forget if you have supplies of fresh manure of whatever variety don't put it on your garden until it has 'matured' for a year.As horse manure is already mixed wth hay etc it can just be left in a bag or heap. Chicken manure should be mixed wth hay or composted for a year. They are very high in nitrogen etc and would burn plants if applied fresh.

4. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    I use farmyard manure on my veg plot, Yes it smells even after a couple of years it smells but there is nothing like it for sorting out the soil it seems to put the whole thing right. The odour quickly disappears but the effects last. I keep mine under a tarpaulin to stop the rain washing it away. As the above replies say Chicken manure needs to stand for a year or so.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    What - even the pellet forms?!!

6. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ps pidgeon maure is best for fruit

8. sawfish

sawfish Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So chicken pellet manure wont work over a two year period. Its only a quick fix.

9. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    no, im not saying that, i think the general fertility will improve over time using the pellets, including worm activity, but they are generally smaller in bulk, which translates to less organic matter, they are easy to handle and can be put on when plants are at all stages of growth,if i was using a three crop rotation which included puting a large amount of manure on 1/3 rd of the area, this would be the horse manure
    but i would consider the chicken pellets to be ok to use on all crops, tho more on the potatoes than on the beans or the lettuces

10. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    to conclude this thread, hopefully, fresh chicken manure is wet and smelly, and could harbour disease, they eat animal by-products and additives and antibiotics may be added to feeds
    ........imo the large volume of waste is best handled professionally ,,, dried and pelleted
    Pelleted is easy to use and helps build soil fertility
    Horse manure is more variable in its sources, and horses may be bedded on straw, paper or shavings, BUT horses are vegetarians and the foods have no nasty additives
    ..... horse dung gets my vote evry time, i would not consider sourcing / composting fresh chicken manure