Chilli plant problems

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by skinner, Jul 9, 2011.

1. skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
    Ratings:
    +23
    I'm finding my chili plants are losing a lot of leaves, which I believe is caused by the growing medium being too wet, but with the amount of rain we've been getting that's a tad beyond my control. Thing is I have got this new plastic growhouse thingy, but it gets as hot as a sauna in there and everything starts to sweat and droop... which is why I've been keeping the plants outside. Question is should I continue to leave them out and risk them being drowned, or put them inside the growhouse and risk them being broiled?
    Any suggestions folks ( then if it goes pear shaped I can blame it on someone else :loll:)

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    The plants shouldn't have too much trouble outside if you have good drainage in the pot.

The other solution is to put them in the growhouse and tie back the plastic sides, leaving it fairly open, but keep the top in place.

• Like Like x 1
    • skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
      Ratings:
      +23
      Unfortunately only the entrance can be kept open, so the wind gets in and circulates like a tornado... it would be ok if the flipping wind would let up a bit. Next year I'm going to have to install some sort of ventilation in the thing.

Thanks shiney, I think I'll repot them into something a bit grittier.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hmm, pear shaped chillies:heehee:

I've just taken 2 cooling fans out of an old computer, they are 12volt dc & only 0.12 amps. I'm going to find the right number of solar garden lights to power them & then keep my eyes open for end of summer clearances.

Had a box full for a few bob a few years ago.

Point being that when the sun comes out, the fan will suck the excess heat out of the green house.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,075
        Try drying the pots out a bit by standing them on a thick folded newspaper.
        I'm guessing the roots are rotting and thats why they are dropping leaves.

I've never thought of chillis as being an outdoor plant in the UK, I'm sure they grow better with protection.

Perhaps you could put the pots close to a sunny house wall, if you have one, they might get some protection from the eves and some extra heat reflecting from the wall.

• xoot

xoot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        I must be overwatering my chilis too - the leaves have nearly all dropped off but I've still got a nice crop of chilis.

I did hear on tv that you're not supposed to water them after 4pm as they respond well to being distressed.

• shiney

Ratings:
        +122,455

If that's the case you could try shouting at them instead of talking nicely to them. :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
        • skinner

skinner Gardener

Dogsbody
          Ratings:
          +23
          I'll do my best "ve haf ways..." routine on them, that'll scare the little blighters into behaving themselves.

Similar to xroot's plants, these currently have chili's on them but I was a bit concerned that if they go downhill they might not crop any more.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,248
          Are Chillies really an outdoor plant in the UK ? I am growing Jalapeno and Cherry Bombs for the first time and I have brought two of the plants back inside , as one was looking leggy and had stopped producing flowers. Do chillies crop all the growing season , or do you just get one flush of flowers and chillies?

I found this Chill heat chart below useful when selecting the type to grow , then you dont select a XXXXX one :D There are an enormous amount of UK sites on Chilli growing , it must be like an obsssesion !

Chillis Scoville Scale

• shiney

Ratings:
          +122,455
          No, chillies aren't outdoor plants in this country although they can be quite happy outdoors in a good summer. In their native habitat they are perrenials and have a long cropping season.

Your plants could have become unhappy as the night time temperatures have dropped quite low. They normally don't like temperatures below 60F and will stop producing flowers below 65F. They are just comfortable at 70F.

We have some plants that are five years old that we keep in the greenhouse (unheated) but bring indoors for autumn and winter. I shall have to let these go this year as they are getting a bit old to be in pots and aren't producing so well. During their first three years they continued producing through to late December whilst they were in our warm lounge by the french doors - so they had plenty of light.

That chilli chart is a bit out of date as there are now chillies that have been registered as reaching 1.4 million scovilles. The Dorset Naga (produced in Dorset) is registered as 1.1 million. :rolleyespink:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,075
          I hesitate to give advice on chilli growing as I know the likes of shiney and co are real chilli lovers.
          And know more than me.

Me, I'm more into sweet peppers:), but I tend to think they both like the same conditions to do well.
          Although I dont know anybody overwintering sweet pepper plants.

• shiney

Ratings:
          +122,455
          You're right pete :dbgrtmb:.

They are very similar and you should treat them that way - and I also don't know anyone that overwinters sweet peppers. That's probably because I haven't heard of sweet pepper nutcases but I know a lot of chilli nutters! :yess: :loll:

• Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            You know me pete:dbgrtmb:

Mind you, i've only got one sweet pepper set from last years plants, so probably not the best use of my time:DOH:

• shiney

Ratings:
            +122,455
            Alright, so I was wrong :DOH:. I do know a pepper nutter :loll: :loll: :loll: :loll:. It had to be you, ziggy :heehee: