1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chilli plants potted up ....

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Webmaster, May 10, 2014.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Today (well 4.30pm) I decided to go over the allotment to do some digging etc, but due to rain, I decided to pot up some of my superhot chilli plants.

As I got some 29cm Terracotta pots cheap, that is what I am using, and hopefully I will be able to overwinter them as well.

I started by putting something (large stone etc) to bridge the hole in the base of the pot, but without completely blocking it :-

[​IMG]

Then I used some Hydroton Clay pebbles to cover the bottom 1-2cm :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I used a 50/50 mix of 5 year old manure and Verve compost :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both the Manure and compost, I screened :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then mixed in Perlite and Hydroton pebbles into the mix :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Add a bit more manure/compost and mix :-

[​IMG]

Remove plant from older pot and tease the roots out a little :-

[​IMG]

Place in pot and bring soil up to level required :-

[​IMG]

And finally dress with Hydroton Clay Pebbles to aid in water retension and also at the same time add a little humidity :-

[​IMG]

And repeat multiple times :snork: :-

[​IMG]

To speed up potting up, I mixed a big batch of soil mix ready to put in each pot :-

[​IMG]

As I was over there and potting up, I also decided to pot up my Pumpkin as it must have exhausted all nutrients from the compost and had started to turn yellow in colour :-

[​IMG]

We'll see in the next few days if it starts to green up again (you can see it's smaller brother plant in front of the big pot :) ).

I have around another 12-16 Chilli plants to pot up yet, one of them I will hydroponically grow.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +799
      My pumpkin is doing terrible, yellowing a bit now and blossom end rot on every fruit - about 8 so far. I treated with CaCO4, egg shell, and Epsom salts with no luck. It is on its last warning and tomorrow it gets ripped out - the plant is 8 foot long and is now climbing a fence.

Great looking chilies - mine are doing just ok, some poorly. Something has gone wrong with my soil. But then I have lots of them so will make a crop. I have green bell, jalapeno, sweet and hot banana (my favorites, we eat a lot of them - very productive plants), cayenne, and now a couple habanero have germinated from a 4/$1 seed pack. I like to grow mine from seed but have ended up buying most in 4 packs at a four pack for $2 - little ones, which seems high, but my saved seed failed to germinate. What will you do with those masses of hot peppers? I hope to pickle jalapenos and banana peppers together. And dry the cayenne.

I also have ornamental peppers which are very hot - but will not use them, just look at them.

• Webmaster

Ratings:
      +2,931
      I plan on doing a few things with the chillies including making a good amount of powder by drying and then crushing etc

Also have noticed others making chilli fudge, chilli wine...... The list goes on :)

I also have Sweet Banana growing as well.

I have some seed that originated from your side of the pond, Ed's 'Carolina Reapers', 3 germinated but 1 has been lost, but have 2 very healthy plants which are currently around 5-6" tall, 1 will be grown hydroponically. I already have a chilli plant growing Hydroponically, a Trinidad Scorpion .... I have a few seedlings growing still as well.... Some Orange Habs, Red Habs, Brown Habs, Some more Scorpions, Some Jolokias and some Jalepenos.

Doing some reading, there are varying grow methods which people report as to give vigorous production of fruit, one is to strip and top the plant back to a twig, which stimulates immense growth, and I have seen pictures of this done and follow up pics of the produce...... I cannot bring myself to do that to mine yet.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Well done Webmaster , that is the best potting process I have ever seen ! :dbgrtmb:
      My Chillies get MPC + sharp sand + farmyard manure + slow release fertiliser mix . I mix it all in a big trug so it doesn't take long to mix and pot on . I put a layer of golden gravel on top of the pot to conserve moisture and stop weeds.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +799
        I make soup mostly with my peppers all season, which here is long. During the hot part of summer the tomatoes quit - they will not set fruit if the temperatures stay over 78F at night. (25.5 C) I manage to keep a couple of my cherry tomatoes usually though, they set fruit just before it gets too hot and then take a long time to mature them.

This is a hot weather basket of veg for my nightly bowl of soup (we have soup as a starter every evening) The asparagus beans grow through the heat, as do the okra and peppers so fresh stuff every day - everything shuts down during late July through August, then you plant your autumn tomato crop for when it cools off.

Nathan, (I have heard people call you that I think) I think you should try okra. It is great, just produces okra every day - a nice flower, then okra quickly. They have to be eaten young and do not keep well - but the plant produces one or two every day. I keep 6 plants. If your tunnel is warm enough try it - happy to send you a couple seeds if you wish. Also the yard long bean (asparagus bean) is fun and good to eat. A couple vines and you get a couple beans every day.

[​IMG]

• Webmaster

Ratings:
        +2,931
        Hi ,

I already have Okra on the go, what attracted me to it, was the flowers followed by the fruit..... Double whammy, plus it is nice in things like stir fries.

And yes, it is Nathan :dbgrtmb:

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +799
        Here in the deep south the Cajun and Creole foods are centered on bell pepper, okra, onion, tomato, celery. (the celery is modern I suppose) Foods one always had in the garden most of the year.

Nathan are you one of the ones who goes mackerel fishing? Fishing weather is here and I need to get going. But Okra, tomatoes, onion, peppers = gumbo which is a staple here (Near New Orleans - Catholic French) I just need to get some shrimp and some fish and crabs. Actually the shrimp do not arrive till full summer - but the rest are waiting.

• Like Like x 1
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I got my Nagas potted earlier in the week and did my Cayennes yesterday,poor things looked real stressed,should have been done sooner:rolleyespink:

Does anyone else plant them deep?...

• colne

colne Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +799
          This is something I have always longed to do, I have to stake my peppers, but never dared. I plant them at the same depth they were in in the pot.

Pepper jam (jelly as it is called here if it has been strained of solids) is popular here and can be wonderful! Is it made in England? Also pickled jalapeno slices are everywhere here - and well worth making at home - do you do that?

This year I plan do dehydrate peppers for soups if I get a good crop. The cut worms just chopped down my new cucumber plants and some young pepper seedlings - and it appears a raccoon has been laying down on my butternut squash because it is flattened.

• Webmaster

Ratings:
          +2,931
          I don't fish and never have .... Wish I had time to do what I already have to do, plus the other half would kill me if I took on another hobby.:snork:

I'm not about planting deep, I would always plant at normal levels (as per my pics above).

As also said earlier, I know of people who 'Strip' the plants back to be virtually a stick

Not sure if this pic will come up, but will try :-

[​IMG]

Or these 2 :-

[​IMG]

and this is the same plant 3 weeks later :-

[​IMG]

I'd give more things a go, but as said above, I only have so much time in the day :snork: .... And sounds like you have more beasties to contend with there than we do ..... But you do have better growing weather :)

• Like Like x 2
          • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
            Ratings:
            +12,508
            Very good Nathan. I've never heard of stripping, interesting, tell me more:)

• Webmaster

Ratings:
            +2,931
            I have copied this direct from the source 'Chilli Pepper Plant Strippers' :-

What is stripping?
            Basically; the removing of foliage from younger plants to promote new growth and greater production. How and when this is done depends on a few different factors; personal preference being number one, climate and type of plant, healthy root systems.

Trust me when I tell you I am no expert and here to learn same as others, please feel free to ask any questions. I'm sure as time passes you will have this down to a science with your individual techniques.

Some of the Benefits of stripping may be:

You can start your plants earlier.
            stronger and thicker main stalks.
            Staking may not be necessary.
            large thick canopy will keep the plant cooler on hot days.
            Less blossom drop.
            Greater production.
            Light frost protection of pod in the undergrowth.

• Webmaster

Ratings:
            +2,931
            This 'strip' is by a guy close to me :-

[​IMG]

4 weeks later :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supposed to promote huge growth, with is evident from the pics, just wonder if it fruits heavier as a result ?

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Don't think I could be brave enough to strip a Chilli like that.............

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Webmaster

Ratings:
                +2,931
                It all depends on how many chillis you are growing I suppose, and the guy who has stripped the above, has a huge Polytunnel on a farm and has converted his conservatory into a Hydroponic grow area, which will house around 20 Full grown plants :D

So the odd ones he strips, wont matter too much to him, but will help him with research what methods work best.

• Like Like x 1