Chilli plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by prepareathome, Oct 3, 2011.

1. prepareathome

prepareathome Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    In with my plug vegetable plants was two Chilli plants which I put out with the rest of the plants under fleece. I had been told really they should be indoors on a windowsill so today brought them indoors and found both plants have one green chilli each on them.

My question should I have brought them in, with them doing so well out there, can they take any cold even under fleece or should I just leave them where they are now on a south facing window sill.

Very pleased as never grown Chilli's before, snag is none of us actually like them lol

Debbie

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    Where are you Debbie? In most of the UK I reckon it's way too cold for chillies to live outdoors in the autumn unless you have a heated greenhouse. Any frost will kill them by the way. Keep them in a sunny position on a south facing window over winter and don't over-water them :thumbsup:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Too true, any that I will be keeping will be coming indoors soon:parsnip:

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    As some Chillis have a long ripening season and require high temperatures, Scotch Bonnet and Habeneros types for example, they are best grown in a greenhouse/poly tunnel or very sunny room. :)

5. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi folks.

Didn't someone have a thread going on keeping Chilli's over winter? I seem to remember it was a long running thread. I have a Chilli plant that I'd like to preserve.

Cheers...Freddy.

6. prepareathome

prepareathome Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am in Liverpool, have put them on a south facing window, woke up to find a second chilli on one plant so that is three chillis so far, would be nice to keep them alive over winter.

Thanks

Debbie