chillies!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by uulwyn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. uulwyn

uulwyn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Is it possible to sow chilli's indoors now, as the seed packet says to sow earlier in the year? Also what sort of pot would i need to put each individual plant into once germinated.

Thanks

Steve

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I find them very hard to keep alive during the Winter, but folk do do it.

Better to sow early-ish in the New Year I reckon. I doubt you will get ripe chillies any/,much earlier if you sow now, compared to, say, February, but a Chilli-expert will give you a better answer I'm sure.

3. uulwyn

Ratings:
    +0
    Even though i am going to keep them indoors? My intention is to grow it on the dining room table where we get alot of light in.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I bring mine indoors for the winter. Mostly they die. That's not quite the same as sowing seed now, but personally I wouldn't risk it unless it was going to make them fruit earlier next year (which I'm sceptical about). If you've got plenty of seed no harm sowing half-now and seeing how you get on.

Dinning room table doesn't sound like enough light to me, unless its under the window (rather than in the middle of the room)

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    I can only endorse what Kristen has said.

I also think that a dining room table will not be enough light for them. Even if it is next to a window you will have the problem of the plant only getting light from one side and you will have to continuously keep turning it.

It would probably enough light for overwintering but not for getting the plant to give you much in the way of ripe fruit.

I am fortunate that the plants that I overwinter usually do well. I have two plants that are in their 4th year and look as though they will give me many hundreds of (very hot) chillies each.

I suggest that you start them off in Feb and then put them in a very bright, warm, place for the summer - greenhouse or conservatory.

Good luck :thumb:

6. uulwyn

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Shiny/Kristen. I will wait until next year before sowing them.