Chip Tropical.

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Mar 21, 2012.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Today I went to my asian store to buy few eddoes for my garden , he didn`t had any but instead had some purple rusheen , bough 7 huge bulbs for £5 ....looking on the internet and they should look like this as the shoot are actually purple.
    [​IMG]
    in case anyone else would love to start something unusual now is the time to start them .
    next week will be back as he will have some more eddoes from India ,
    this year I will start a cassava as well and few more strange edible bulbs , along with fruit like tamarind .

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've got some Eddoes on the go - only 30p each, whereas a Colcocasia plant is £5 - £10 !!

I made a big mistake of leaving mine a week before starting them off and they had already started to go mouldy ... so not sure if they are going to make it, or not. I also put them in about 5% Hydrogen Peroxide, which was probably way too strong ...

Minimum moisture (preferably not in compost, just in a bag with a drop of moisture), plenty of heat, to get them going

Mine came from http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/fresh-eddoes-6-3792-p.asp

3. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    that`s an interesting way , I usually start mine with compost and water , never failed but to admit that take long ...it seams that nothing uppen for weeks.
    what I was trying to say is that there are lots of purple dasheen at the moment , you should go to a local asian store , as mine usually will tell me where they are from and every time are from a different country.
    I usually get eddoes for 30p each but this where actually huge and really different from the normal eddoes...really long bulb and with lots of side shoot.
    I`ve asked for more victorian pinapple they are available from may , those are last years one.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,998
      [​IMG]those are the bulbs I bough already shooting .[​IMG]

and those are last year plant that I left in water all winter (in the greenhouse.)