Choisya Ternata lost all leaves!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by estrella-azul, Sep 28, 2013.

1. estrella-azul

estrella-azul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, :new: but need some help please! I have a Choisya Ternata which has been planted about two years, it is about one metre high. Unfortunately it has lost all its leaves, but I cannot see any evidence of a pest on the plant. Can anyone throw any light as to what it could be and what I should do? :help:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,335
    Hello and welcome to GC:) Have you experienced hot, dry weather in your garden lately? Your Choisya may have reacted to drought by dropping it's leaves..
    It might be worth excavating a small hole as close to the main stem as you can, without damaging too many roots, to see whether the original rootball is dried out. If it is, then you'll need to water very slowly, as it was most likely grown in a peat-based (or peat substitute) compost. These are notorious for being difficult to re-wet once dry! Once the plant is really moist at the roots, you could try giving a half-strength liquid feed using a balanced fertiliser, to encourage it to grow new leaves. You don't want it to be too lush at this time of year, though, else it will suffer frost damage...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • estrella-azul

Ratings:
      +0
      Hello :) noisette47, thanks for the above advice. Yes we were away from end of August until last week, when I think the UK suffered a bit of a drought. I did have someone water the garden, but cannot say how much! I suspect this is the problem and I will try what you suggest and hopefully not too much damage has been done to the roots. Hopefully it will start to grow again. It is a lovely plant, such a shame if it dies. It was fine before we went away! :sad:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,335
      Tchhhh no more holidays for you in the summer, Madam!:biggrin: I'd suggest Goa in January:spinning:

• estrella-azul

Ratings:
      +0
      :biggrin: yes you are right, but sometimes not avoidable as we go away every twelve weeks! Choisya is picking up I think :dbgrtmb: as can see tiny shoots appearing, plus weather changed here and quite damp overnight. Keeping fingers crossed it comes back! :smile: