Choosing colour for garden walls and fences

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Melinda, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Hi everyone, I hope you're all wintering well!

I see things are looking different around here! Ive had to adjust my settings!

---
    Ok I have a massive expanse of wall which has to be painted white every spring due to algal growth and staining. Im looking for the wall to recede into background. The area is paved with a large raised bed filled with very mature thicket of rose bushes.

What colours have other people used on their walls and fences?

2. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13

About three years ago I used green cuprinol fencing liquid on a new fence, concrete fence posts and some slabs, put up by the school authorities on my rear boundry, so far I have not had to recoat any of it!

Focus had I think (10 litres) half price at that time, so I tried it, and it worked!

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If I had the money, i'd clad the wall with mirrors with a wooden frame over the front, so it looks like you are looking thru a fence.

But thats just me.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I very much like your idea Ziggy, but failing which I would go with Makka Bakka and use green.

In the old days of ground force, Alan Tichmarsh sometimes used pale blue - which I didn't think much of.

5. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    If, as you say, you want the wall to be less eye-catching then I agree that a muted form of green might be a solution.

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Or even black and green camoflagé stylee.

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    What about a nice pastel shade like lilac? Most plant colours will contrast with it nicely, so that they take the focus, while lilac itself doesn't really stand out very much.

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ultra Violet would stand out even less than Lilac, trouble is, bees would cover it.

http://www.terralec.co.uk/uv_products/ultra_violet_paint/26086_p.html

9. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Hey all, thanks for the ideas!

Ziggy- a large wall done in camouflage paint :D
    How long before an unmanned US drone flattened the neighbourhood?!

Im very drawn to the green suggestions so thanks Makka Bakka, Armandii and PeterS and actually it will match the shed. I like this shade, Id like to go paler, but re-painting would be a bind.

[​IMG]

Clueless I love your idea, really love it. I know a feature wall is the opposite of what I was asking about (:)), but Im really tempted.

[​IMG]

Of course, it would need re-painting almost as much as the white, plus, Id have to re-do the entire wall every time to compensate for colour fading/any changes in the consistency/ concentration of paint pigment.

Des anyone know of a software package where you can plot your garden changes in 3D before taking the plunge for real?

Im quite excited now.[hr]
    [hr]
    Zigs, Ive considered mirrors before, but havent seen it done well enough in an suburban garden.

As well as reflecting the garden, it would also reflect the house!

Plus, Im really not sure about mirrors surrounded by trellis arches and frames. It might appear overly fussy in our garden.

A modern way of using mirrors might be cool though. I'd appreciate any photos or ideas!

[​IMG]

Thanks x