Christmas Potatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by kazzawazza, Sep 27, 2015.

1. kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I planted some Potatoes in bags last month ready for Christmas. They are doing really well and the tops are already a foot or so above the top of the bags. I have been told that putting pot ash on them increases the yield. Is this correct ? If so how do I apply, how often and how much?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Potash is good, just a sprinkling of wood ash would help. I'd give a general purpose feed to anything in bags or pots after a couple of weeks :)

3. kazzawazza

Ratings:
    +1,858
    I have put dried potatoe feed in with the compost and I have filled the bag. Am I right that that is now enough feed (dried and liquid) and now just spinkle the pot ash on the top of the soil or do I fork it into the top of the soil? Does pot ash go on once only or every couple of weeks until potatoes are ready?

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Potash is water soluble, so just sprinkled is fine :) Every couple of weeks and make sure they don't go short of water :)

5. kazzawazza

Ratings:
    +1,858
    :blue thumb: Thanks Zigs

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Might be hard to do in the middle of making Christmas Dinner, but the whole point of new potatoes is to get the water on the boil before you dig them up, straight in the pan and served with butter, mint and sea salt :)

• Like Like x 1