christmas tree ,container grown

Discussion in 'Trees' started by airies55, Sep 2, 2009.

1. airies55

airies55 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i,ve had my tree for nine months and all was well untill this past few weeks when i noticed the needles were turning yellow ,as we,ve had a lot of rain i,m wondering if this might be the problem.it has been repotted once last spring but has only one drainage hole ,could it be to wet .please advise.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    They aren't really supposed to survive after Christmas, so I've heard. The roots are cut back so that they fit in a pot, but leaving enough of them to prevent complete needle drop over Christmas.

Mind you, on saying that, we plant our old Christmas trees out in the chicken run and currently have 4 of them there, in various states of baldness, not helped by the chickens eating any fresh shoots that appear at head height, but they still survive (sort of).

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Airies, welcome to the site. Is your plant an Abies? Is it a rooted plant? If it is, I would say, pot it on in an ericaceous compost. If rooted it should grow quite happily.