clay soil help!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by New Irish gardener, Apr 16, 2024.

1. New Irish gardener

New Irish gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a very heavy clay soil and im keen to help it and potentially also cut in some beds if this works

I have read that gyspum is good to break up heavy clay soil, is there any difference between agriculatural/lawn gypsum and plasterers gypsum?

could I use plasterers gypsum on my lawn or am i mad lol all advice welcome

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,198
    Do you mean it's a lawn you're trying to improve?
    I've never used anything on my grass in any garden. They just get on with it. Heavy, wet clay soil in every garden I've ever had.
    In planting areas, I only use organic matter - and especially good quality, well rotted manure, to amend it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,021
      The best thing to improve clay soil (as i have here in Essex) is organic matter.
      Home-made compost or some sort of rotted manure. Best of all is composted bark fines if you can get them.
      Grit has almost no effect.

I've never used gypsum, builders or horticultural.
      I'd wonder if builders gypsum has additives such as mould resistance etc, but I've no idea tbh.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,198
        Yes - grit is only of use in containers. We don't have the problem many people have of clay drying out and cracking in summer. If it happens, it's very short lived, even with these longer, hotter spells we're getting more frequently in summer. Lots of help is very important to get clay soil in good nick.
        I think the OP is talking about a lawn though, and I can't help with that. We just stay off the grass over winter - and for a lot of other months!

• Like Like x 2
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +22,468
          I'd use whatever gypsum you can get cheaply and in quantity. However do check the label for additives, preservatives etc.
          Personally I wouldn't bother for a lawn though, unless starting from scratch.
          Save the material and energy for the beds.
          If you need to cross the lawn frequently then put a path in.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +15,195
            Can't agree with the comments about grit not helping. Certainly for new borders, incorporating tons of organic material and a good quantity of grit to 50cm depth is an immediate and long-term solution and gives plants a super start. Organic material on it's own does work eventually, but it can take >20 years for real change.

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +1,021
            After building works in 2019 I had loads of grey and orange clay to deal with in the front garden where I wanted to plant.
            I followed this advice on the RHS Site and it worked very well.
            I used lots of Composted bark fines from CPA Horticulture dug in around October and again in Nov. and the following spring the texture was OK for planting and the 12 pittosporums I planted are growing well.
            I was very surprised how quickly it was broken down, with some help from winter frosts.

I think grit is useful for heavy soils, but not so much for heavy clay for the reasons given in the above article.

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +122,174
              I think I mentioned this fairly recently. We have heavy clay but we used the old fashioned method of breaking it up. Apart from adding garden compost we added a lot of straw. We are fortunate to have fields around us and after the harvesting there was a lot of chopped and loose straw on the field. In those days they then used to set fire to it to clear it so we used to collect it before it was burnt.

For our veg area we did double digging Double digging / RHS Gardening and dug in the compost in the deeper 'spit' https://plewsgardendesign.co.uk/glo...t is measurement of,digging is two spits deep. and add some of the straw and some compost into the top 'spit'. The straw help to stop the clay clagging together.

It's hard work (I wouldn't be able to do that now) but it gets results.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,769
                If the lawn is generally ok but just needs a bit of help, I wouldn't really worry too much about it being on clay. I'd just go with routine law maintenance, basically occasionally aerate it and top dress alternate years with sharp sand and fine compost.

• simone_in_wiltshire

simone_in_wiltshire Keen Gardener

A sort of Senior
                Ratings:
                +2,640
                I wouldn't add anything else than manure. Lawn grows fine on our Oxford clay, but it doesn't change the top of the soil because the grass roots don't go that far down. The best way to break clay in my experience is to plant it with plants. They will go down to a deepness that is generally used for most plants, and with it come earthworms. I leave the roots of annuals in the ground and they will break the clay.

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                Ratings:
                +4,198
                I think @New Irish gardener might need to clarify if it's just the lawn he's talking about, or borders - or both. As @Clueless 1 v2 says, generally improving drainage in a lawn with aerating and top dressing, is usually the easiest method. :smile:
                I would need to constantly add grit on a regular basis for it to be useful, so that's an absolute no no for me. Heavy sticky clay isn't easily amended with that unless you have very deep pockets, and can add tons of it, and certainly not suited to the kind of climate we have round here. Organic matter can work very quickly if applied correctly, and if it's good quality. I've done it in several gardens. The type of plant used also has to be right, and woody shrubs/trees will help with moisture take up, far more than perennials. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • New Irish gardener

New Irish gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1
                  thanks for the advice everyone the wealth of knowledge on these forums never ceases to amaze me

i should mention also that we have a lot of rabbits and over winter they have nibbled away at the grass and left massive patches where the moss has now started to grow!

I think i will feed the lawn and aerate and top dress with sand/compost as mentioned above and hope for an improvement next year!

• Like Like x 1
                  • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,769
                    The rabbits will save you having to mow.

They will also destroy anything you plant.

As to the moss, if you top dress with sharp sand, then gently rake, it will lift the moss right out, leaving the grass intact. The sharp sand will then also inhibit new moss growth, while also providing a favourable environment for the grass to grow stronger.

• Like Like x 1